Driver crash on creation of vertex buffer (D3D11)

Started by
6 comments, last by parroteye 8 years, 1 month ago
I am starting working on my first D3D11 "framework" but I get a driver crash (in nvwgf2um.dll) when creating a buffer. I have latest NVIDIA driver

ID3D11Buffer* CreateVertexBufferFromGeometry(Mesh& mesh) const{

[cut unrelated stuff]

ID3D11Buffer* buffer;

D3D11_BUFFER_DESC bd;
ZeroMemory(&bd, sizeof(bd));
bd.Usage = D3D11_USAGE_DEFAULT;
bd.ByteWidth = sizeof(float) * mesh.NumberOfFloatsPerVertex * mesh.vertexData.size();
bd.BindFlags = D3D11_BIND_VERTEX_BUFFER;
bd.CPUAccessFlags = 0;
bd.MiscFlags = 0;
D3D11_SUBRESOURCE_DATA InitData;
ZeroMemory(&InitData, sizeof(InitData));
InitData.pSysMem = mesh.vertexData.data();
RenderDevice->CreateBuffer(&bd, &InitData, &buffer);

return buffer;
}
I have Debug layer on and nothing pops out, the HRESULT is pointless since the app crashes inside CreateBuffer (does not return) just get this crash in debug and release mode.
What can it be? How can I go on to get more info?
The obj I am trying to read is not ill-formed (it read fine with any viewer).
RenderDevice is a wrapper around ID3D11Device , it is NOT null and it works in creating other things
Thanks
EDIT: Got problem with warp as well
Advertisement

What is the crash telling you? AccessViolationException?

Adam Miles - Principal Software Development Engineer - Microsoft Xbox Advanced Technology Group

What is the crash telling you? AccessViolationException?

Yup

Reading / writing what address?

Adam Miles - Principal Software Development Engineer - Microsoft Xbox Advanced Technology Group

Reading / writing what address?

It changes everytime IIRC (don't have the code with me atm), but is not 0xcccccc or 0x00000 or any usual null/known address

Sounds like you're passing an invalid pointer into that function.
What is mesh.vertexData? It would be my first suspect.

Off topic, but FWIW below, #1 is the same as #2, but less efficient, more verbose, and prone to human error:
//#1
D3D11_BUFFER_DESC bd;
ZeroMemory(&bd, sizeof(bd));
//#2
D3D11_BUFFER_DESC bd = {};

If it's a violation *reading* from a valid looking address (one that looks like it comes some sane number of bytes after the start of vertexData.data()) then I would assume vertexData doesn't contain enough bytes to fulfil filling the buffer in its entirety. Check mesh.NumberOfFloatsPerVertex is correct.

If it's a violation *reading* from a valid looking address (one that looks like it comes some sane number of bytes after the start of vertexData.data()) then I would assume vertexData doesn't contain enough bytes to fulfil filling the buffer in its entirety. Check mesh.NumberOfFloatsPerVertex is correct.

This was it! There was an error in the calculation of floatsPerVertex, Thank you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement