Choosing between internships

Started by
3 comments, last by SeanMiddleditch 8 years, 1 month ago

So I've recently been offered two different internships for this upcoming summer. One of them is an internship for Motorola, and the other is for a start up indie studio.

Assuming money is not an issue right now, what is the better option for me if I want my career to be in the gaming industry?

Do I go with the highly recognizable company that would look impressive on a resume?

Or should I go with the smaller indie studio to get my foot in gaming industry's door?

I'm looking for advice from people that are currently in the gaming industry.

(I'm currently attending university for a computer science degree and this would be my first internship)

Thanks.

Advertisement
Moving this to Game Industry Job Advice. Purple, you need to make a decision grid, and decide this based on much more than just "how will this look on my resume." There are other factors you need to consider. http://sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Startup assuming they let you do real and interesting work.

I've seen "startup indie studio" used to describe everything from two person home-based operations to fifty plus person full blown companies. The devil is in the details - who are these people, how serious are they, what's the background, what's the pay, is there an opportunity for post-graduation employment, etc. Make sure you have a very clear idea of the work, expectations, etc. Do not allow them to make you an office assistant.

As for Motorola, I've been in internship programs managed well (Microsoft) and managed poorly (NVIDIA). I don't know where on the spectrum Moto falls, nor which team they're actually considering putting you in. In large corps, the actual group you're being placed into can make a huge difference. If they refuse to tell you, then I'd be very wary.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Is the startup known to anyone at all? Have they announced a project, even just on Kickstarter? In other words, can you use the startup on your resume at all?

Games experience generally trumps non-games experience in this industry, but that does require you to actually be able to show that you have said experience. smile.png

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement