• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Neceal

Creating A Mobile Vpet?

This topic is 916 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone!

So for the past couple of days I've been really wanting to start to create a Vpet for mobile devices. More to be like Digimon Vpets but of course not a complete clone. I've searched around the web however I can't find any information on my question. My question is what do I use in order to create one? Should I use Unity or Unreal or even something else? Of course I'm a beginner so I'm not very good at any engine but I have a bit of programming experience in C++ and C# and a very small amount in Java. I wouldn't mind learning another language at all.

So does anyone have any advice on what "engine" to use in order to make a mobile Vpet similar to Digimon?

Advertisement

Unity can build for Android but you'll need to install the ADK first.

Thank you for replying! Is Bluestacks an APK? If it is, is there a better one you think would be better to use?

Thank you for replying! Is Bluestacks an APK? If it is, is there a better one you think would be better to use?

1: I believe the bluestacks youre refering to is an android emulator for non mobile platforms. Not what you'd use to develop the game but can be used to test your project if using your own phone is a problem.

2: ADK is the Android Development Kit, when you download and install unity, itll have an option for all the platforms you wish to develop for, simply selecting android with download the sdk for you.

I consider myself a noob when it comes to engines (other than my own). But having used Unity for just a week now, I wonder why I never tried it out the moment it became free. I've only ever tried to dabble in mobile development a few times in the past and Java (I know a more forgiving language compared to C++) was the barrier for me. But Unity is darn near a point and click game maker and being able to use C# (a vastly simpler form of it too) has made things so easy for me. I too found learning C# cumbersome with no real reason to do so other than learning for the sake of learning. But in a scripting enviroment it's almost exactly like C++ with just a few differences.

/* end rant */

I would suggest you just go ahead and download and try out unity for yourself.

+1 for Unity, so far, making APKs has been pretty painless, and performance has been pretty good.  It's pretty trivially easy to load an APK on a device and just start playing your game.

1: I believe the bluestacks youre refering to is an android emulator for non mobile platforms. Not what you'd use to develop the game but can be used to test your project if using your own phone is a problem.

2: ADK is the Android Development Kit, when you download and install unity, itll have an option for all the platforms you wish to develop for, simply selecting android with download the sdk for you.

I consider myself a noob when it comes to engines (other than my own). But having used Unity for just a week now, I wonder why I never tried it out the moment it became free. I've only ever tried to dabble in mobile development a few times in the past and Java (I know a more forgiving language compared to C++) was the barrier for me. But Unity is darn near a point and click game maker and being able to use C# (a vastly simpler form of it too) has made things so easy for me. I too found learning C# cumbersome with no real reason to do so other than learning for the sake of learning. But in a scripting enviroment it's almost exactly like C++ with just a few differences.

/* end rant */

I would suggest you just go ahead and download and try out unity for yourself.

I've also been slacking learning C#. For me I just feel like I don't have the drive. I know Unity is a great engine, however I find that C# is useless (even though I know it's not) compared to something like C++. But I feel like If I have a goal it might work out.

Thank you for that reply!

It's easier to swallow if you think of it as a C-ish scripting language.

It's kind of crappy at being a scripting language too, tbh. It implements a lot of existing and elsewhere well-designed features in freaky-ass clumsy ways, it sticks you with annoying af brace syntax and it every damned editor you'll find will try to force you to use the approved brace and spacing style, which is about as pleasant as dental work.

The thing is that even though the language itself is sucky, it's secured overwhelming acceptance and integration all over the place. VS gives it favored child status for making Windows GUI stuff, and Unity uses it because the way it links is ideal for modding and extension.

That said, it doesn't take more than a couple days to learn if you're coming from C++. It could be a lot worse.

Wouldn't Unity (or any other engine for that matter) be a little overkill to make an Android virtual pet?

You could make one using just the standard SDK.  In fact just doing a Google search for "Mobile Virtual Pet Tutorial" gives tons of possibilities.  The first few results give me full step by step tutorials in HTML5, Java, Objective-C or Swift.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!