Player selection in multiplayer games

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 8 years, 1 month ago

Hello everyone,

I am working on an indie game for myself. It will be online and multiplayer.

I keep the last activity time in my records so I can show that how long the player and their opponents are thinking on their own turn, etc.

A player can play with more that 10 players at the time as it will be a puzzle game. There will be thinking period so it will be possible to scale the number of your opponents.

I started to see an issue with opponent selection. I list 10 to 20 opponents every time when player want to choose and add a new friend to play into his game.

I would like to know what is your idea to list these 10 or 20 opponents list? My basic Idea is first remove the opps. that the player is already playing, then:

1 - List players by the time they have registered into the game (This will not work as the new users will not get a chance to be seen on the list)

2 - List new players on top (this is a good idea, unless the middle time registered players will starve again)

3 - List the last active users in last 2 hours first (This is good and I am using this one for now, however, This will have the same problem like others, the active players may get lots of lets play notification!)

4 - Randomly list some players (among active users in last 24 hours)

I am planning to use a mixture of idea 3 and idea 4 for now. Please let me know what do you think about the process?

Sol.

Advertisement

It is not acceptable to use a large font without a reason here, especially when you had a normal post and you specifically went out of your way to edit it into a large font (and nothing else).

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Are you assuming, Pasban, that a player knows all those people on the list? As a player looking at a list of 10 or 20 people I don't know, why do I have to choose between them?

By the way, I'm tempted to move this to Game Design, since we don't have a UX Design forum (we don't, do we?).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement