Best laptop for game development?

Started by
25 comments, last by Unduli 8 years ago

Thanks! Does the other Lenovo (L560) NOT have a dedicated GPU?

Assuming the other is L540p (couldnt see one without the p), that is correct. Only the 540 has dedicated GPU (you can see this under the "technical specifications" tab, where it says "Graphics" - compare the other differences through this section too).

I looked up both thru a GPU review site, and their performance doesnt look that different (dedicated better by a factor less than 2), BUT AFAIK, the integrated GPU will use system RAM instead of its own VRAM. So if youre low on RAM that might be a problem.

As mentioned, if you have control over the components chosen for the laptop (it seems like there are multiple possibilities for many components?), try to choose:

-Proper screen (both size in inches, and resolution - 1080p resolution is pretty standard so perhaps not higher than that if the screen itself is only laptop-sized)

-SSD or SSD+HDD hybrid, instead of pure HDD

-More than 4 GB RAM if possible. For basic 2D development with game maker, I doubt you will need more. But its good to have a bit of a buffer. And 3D stuff tends to have higher requirements here.

Also get everyone a mouse if they dont bring their own :)

o3o

Advertisement

Thanks! Does the other Lenovo (L560) NOT have a dedicated GPU?

Assuming the other is L540p (couldnt see one without the p), that is correct. Only the 540 has dedicated GPU (you can see this under the "technical specifications" tab, where it says "Graphics" - compare the other differences through this section too).

I looked up both thru a GPU review site, and their performance doesnt look that different (dedicated better by a factor less than 2), BUT AFAIK, the integrated GPU will use system RAM instead of its own VRAM. So if youre low on RAM that might be a problem.

As mentioned, if you have control over the components chosen for the laptop (it seems like there are multiple possibilities for many components?), try to choose:

-Proper screen (both size in inches, and resolution - 1080p resolution is pretty standard so perhaps not higher than that if the screen itself is only laptop-sized)

-SSD or SSD+HDD hybrid, instead of pure HDD

-More than 4 GB RAM if possible. For basic 2D development with game maker, I doubt you will need more. But its good to have a bit of a buffer. And 3D stuff tends to have higher requirements here.

Also get everyone a mouse if they dont bring their own :)

So would you say I should go for the slightly cheaper L560 over the T540? I certainly don't want to lose RAM (4gb, right?). What's the advantage of having a GPU with it's own VRAM? What does the GPU do?

I actually have Wacom Intuos 4 tablets and pens, so I don't need to use mice (is that the right term for plural?). On that note, is there an advantage to using pens/stylus's over a trackpad or mouse? The stylus's seem awkward to me but they are professional. Are they used in making games?

The advantage of the Lenovo T-series of their L-series is that of fit and finish. An L-series is great laptop for home use, assuming it never leaves the home and gets cherished and respected. The T-series is built to put up with every day use by a travelling professional: its hinges and connectors are just slightly more solid and rebost.

I'd recommend the T-series for classrooom use. Those laptops are going to see some hard times.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

L560 over the T540?

No, just an observation I made. The dedicated GPU is better, but not by a massive factor (Not taking the RAM/VRAM thing into account). So I wouldnt rule out the L560 based on that only (compare the other differences).

What's the advantage of having a GPU with it's own VRAM?

It wont have to share memory with the 'regular' system RAM (a lot of the 'graphical' data like textures/meshes will probably go to VRAM [V is for video], leaving more space for running the programs themselves)

I actually have tablets and pens, so I don't need to use mice

I meant for non-drawing related tasks.

Game development software (like any complex software) generally has a ton of buttons / sliders / keyboard shortcuts and functionality that uses all the mouse buttons/scrollwheel.

Having a proper mouse available will make it more natural to use the (non-art) software, simply because thats the interface it was designed to be used with.

Maybe you can start with a few cheap mice available and get more if people seem to prefer them over the trackpad or whatever is the alternative.

o3o

I meant for non-drawing related tasks.
Game development software (like any complex software) generally has a ton of buttons / sliders / keyboard shortcuts and functionality that uses all the mouse buttons/scrollwheel.
Having a proper mouse available will make it more natural to use the (non-art) software, simply because thats the interface it was designed to be used with.
Maybe you can start with a few cheap mice available and get more if people seem to prefer them over the trackpad or whatever is the alternative.
So stylus's are useless for game development?

Have you asked the school's IT department for their advice, yet?

They may have computers they are not using or planning to replace.

As for deciding what you need; GameMaker and Blender list both the minimum & the recommended system requirements on their websites.

A stylus is preferred by artists.

Also, are desktops an option?

It may be cheaper.

GPU stands for Graphics Processing Unit. It is used to handle 3D graphics.

Have you asked the school's IT department for their advice, yet?

They may have computers they are not using or planning to replace.

As for deciding what you need; GameMaker and Blender list both the minimum & the recommended system requirements on their websites.

A stylus is preferred by artists.

Also, are desktops an option?

It may be cheaper.

GPU stands for Graphics Processing Unit. It is used to handle 3D graphics.

Thanks. No other options for computers.

By artists you mean people drawing/painting digitally, like for character design?

By artists you mean people drawing/painting digitally, like for character design?

Yes.

There are plenty of talented artists (really illustrators) but what I am looking for is people who work in the intersection of critical theory, visual culture and art history, so I can find a model of how to dissect the visual language and visual codes of video games that are current and also those that are historical.

It's your call.

Not everyone is naturally a visual kind of person just as not everyone is naturally a mathematical kind of person.

If you want to see some examples of creative-art in games, check out the Independent Games Festival.

http://www.igf.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement