Total Begginer needs lot of advice

Started by
12 comments, last by Craticus 8 years ago

... but whats your thoughts on going with java? is the language capable of such things and run them smoothly and get a good end result? I dunno, im worried about what ever I learn handling the animation smoothly, (I have no foundations for such concerns but there ya go LOL) is java harder to code games and more to the point games like im looking to do point&click / visual novel....

Ofc. Java is capable of it, e.g. take a look at this

I like your down-to earth approach, you seem to pay respect to learning a programming language and don't take it too lightly.

Reading through your posts, it almost seems like you overanalyze and respect/fear it too much.

The thing with programming languages is - its not like you learn just one language and thats it, its over, you wont take a look at any other language.

Java IS one of the best languages to start with imho.

Once you master the language, which in itself is not that hard, there are just a few concepts you need to understand and learn the grammar of the language, all that is left to do is polish your design and problem solving skills, which is language agnostic.

Once you learn and become fluent in any programming language, it takes little to no time to learn another one. The concepts stay the same. The only thing that changes are miniscule (like grammar - takes one max 1 week to learn and max 3 weeks with a simple project to master).

Then there are few different programming paradigms but they wont concern you any time soon. I'd even say if you embark on a professional route, you will be fine.

Take a look at tiobe index, java is #1- For many years now java has either been #1 or at least top 5. So, in a few years, if you lose interest in gamedev you will have aquired a tool (programming language java) which you can use and earn money with.

Anytime I think of java, all that comes to my mind is that: its an easy language, its clean, its object oriented, its platform independent. Sure, its an interpreted language (instead of native [machine code]) and therefore a bit slower but there is JIT for that.

If you are not working on realtime systems where micro/nano seconds matter, you practically wont have any issues with java. And once you run into issues, you will be at a stage in your development, where you will easily pickup any other language.

Transitioning or picking up C / C++ after java will be very easy. Language wise they differe here and there and some concepts are different but overall, it will be easy, Id say. Well, Im only talking about my experience here.

Java, C++, Python - they rule!

Advertisement

C# and Java are about as similar as two languages can get, and the differences between them may feel rather arbitrary for the early stages of learning the language. I learned C# first and making a game in Java has since been mostly a matter of determining what the syntax equivalents for C# methods are. There are some nuances that make C# more attractive to me (the ability to pass by reference, for example; edit: to be more clear, Java passes references by value, whereas C# passes references by reference), but I'm not sure how necessary I would feel that was if I had learned Java first.

Ultimately, choosing between those languages is not going to be one of the more important choices in your life, and, if you like programming, it won't be the last time you choose which language to learn. They're both capable and they both do a lot of things, some things better than others, but they won't be the limiting factor on what you can accomplish with them for, probably, a very long time.

Inspiration from my tea:

"Never wish life were easier. Wish that you were better" -Jim Rohn

soundcloud.com/herwrathmustbedragons

I know you said your mainly a C# programmer so I accept your going to be slightly biased here, but whats your thoughts on going with java? is the language capable of such things and run them smoothly and get a good end result? I dunno, im worried about what ever I learn handling the animation smoothly, (I have no foundations for such concerns but there ya go LOL) is java harder to code games and more to the point games like im looking to do point&click / visual novel....

If you are attracted to Java, regardless of the reason, then go with Java. It's more than capable of making the kinds of games that interest you and has a reputation (deserved, from what little I know of it) for being forgiving for beginners. As the posters above me said, if you later decide to learn another language it will be easier with Java under your belt, and that's especially the case for C# because they have so many similarities. Don't let the choice between C#/Java stress you out at all-- either will do everything you need them to do.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

can I just say a big thank you to all of you guys taking time to reply here, its helped me massively, I wont quote you all on your points as we would be here all day lol, I think I just need to get my head down now learning this, seems like java is a safe bet for your first language and can handle what I plan so I think I need to stop walking around in circles and just get on with it now lol...

oneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee problem tho :D... I have found that java don't like pre rendered scenes very much playing videos/cutscenes that kind of thing which is a slight concern but i'll cross that bridge when I come to it..

thx once again for all your help guys...

ill be back... trust me ... LOL

regards

Ricks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement