About game design

Started by
9 comments, last by Shane Francis 7 years, 11 months ago
I'm starting to study a programming language. However, I still dont have any idea on how game design works. Its my birthday tommorow and my parents will give me a chance to have something that I want. So, Do I need to have a graphic tablet to make my own graphics or there are ready made resources online that I can use on my game?
Advertisement
Bringing up my thread.

At this point, you don't need a graphic tablet since there are lot of resources available and you're still learning.

If you really want to ask your parents for something, either upgrade your development environment or save the money for future upgrades!

Are you talking about game design or game development?

Game Design is about the idea, story, working of the game.

Game Development is about the process for converting the idea into a working game.

Also, Game Art is about creating graphics, music, art, etc for a game. (a graphic table is helpful in this role)

I think a specialized graphics tablet is not very useful for anyone who isn't familiar with other forms of traditional artwork. Tablets really don't make you an artist, nor do they improve art all that much, they are simply a specialized controller that helps artists produce art faster. Honestly, with so many inexpensive normal tablets around, I don't see a reason a non-artist needs a drawing tablet. A non-artist often doesn't have the skill to get the benefit of pressure sensitive input and surface area is way more important than pressure sensitivity anyways. A larger, cheaper, non-pressure sensitive tablet would be better for art than a smaller, pressure sensitive one.

If you're into programming, a technical book focused on game programming would probably be a better gift.

If you're into game design, then maybe a book on game theory or design.

Or just more hardware. A faster computer or more RAM is always nice.

I'd say more software, but I don't think there's any software within normal people spending reach anymore. It's either free or enterprise.

Or even an ebook reader for your technical books.

If you draw or do art, and want to draw and do art on your computer, then a nice Wacom tablet will range anywhere from 'nice to have' to 'essential for your art'. I work on illustrations and sketches in the computer I love having pressure sensitivity. It is not as nice as my preferred medium (charcoal pencils or watercolor pencils) but those don't get entered automatically into the machine.

If hand drawing is not your thing the tablet will be little more than a desk decoration.

It depends on the person rather than need. I love to draw and bought a Bamboo Splash Wacom Tablet, but I haven't used it that much since I've bought it. I toy with it in Sketchbook 8 Pro, Art Rage Studio 3 and 4, paint.net and several other apps. I have a drawing table, professional drawing tools, and love drawing any chance I get, but I simply don't use the tablet as much as I thought I would. I'm trying to get back into it, by watching other artists and comic book artists on Youtube. So, that is why it depends on the person, or whether you want to get it and take up digital drawing.

This was the first pic I did with the tablet, but never posted anything after that: http://twitpic.com/dygj1d Had zero experience with the tablet when I drew that. Reminds me, I need to make use of my DeviantArt account after I get back into using the tablet.

I mean yeah a graphics tablet would help if you're doing something more detailed or just doing concept art. if you're doing lie 2d sprite design then I would just use paint.net and just make small pixel art. Which I may add is a good way to start. it helped me alot when I started out and i still do it for fun.

Michael Nuckles

I think a specialized graphics tablet is not very useful for anyone who isn't familiar with other forms of traditional artwork. Tablets really don't make you an artist, nor do they improve art all that much, they are simply a specialized controller that helps artists produce art faster. Honestly, with so many inexpensive normal tablets around, I don't see a reason a non-artist needs a drawing tablet. A non-artist often doesn't have the skill to get the benefit of pressure sensitive input and surface area is way more important than pressure sensitivity anyways. A larger, cheaper, non-pressure sensitive tablet would be better for art than a smaller, pressure sensitive one.

If you're into programming, a technical book focused on game programming would probably be a better gift.
If you're into game design, then maybe a book on game theory or design.
Or just more hardware. A faster computer or more RAM is always nice.
I'd say more software, but I don't think there's any software within normal people spending reach anymore. It's either free or enterprise.
Or even an ebook reader for your technical books.

I'm into programming and I can still draw :P

At this point, you don't need a graphic tablet since there are lot of resources available and you're still learning.
If you really want to ask your parents for something, either upgrade your development environment or save the money for future upgrades!

Game Development is about the process for converting the idea into a working game.
Also, Game Art is about creating graphics, music, art, etc for a game. (a graphic table is helpful in this role)

So when I'm in the point that I want to make an Indie game (By myself *cries*) I would need one? I'm used to traditional drawing but well if I can get one now, I might get used to it even before I start doing some projects.

So when I'm in the point that I want to make an Indie game (By myself *cries*) I would need one? I'm used to traditional drawing but well if I can get one now, I might get used to it even before I start doing some projects.

Of Course. Since, you want to learn drawing on a tablet, that's perfectly fine.

But remember, you can get along with game development very far, without the need of a graphic tablet.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement