Mobile Games

Started by
1 comment, last by kburkhart84 7 years, 11 months ago

Hi Guys,

I want to know that what skills are required to develop mobile games like angry birds or subway surf etc? I mean in which programming languages and tools you should be expert to design and develop mobile games?

Advertisement

This would have been better in the beginners topic my man. But it doesn't matter which language or tools you know. It's the matter of knowing the concepts that goes into game programming since they are all transferable.

Tangletail has it right in that you will need to understand game programming concepts in general, along with other things, such as art, music, sounds, design, etc..., though you can likely hire out any number of these things.

But, there are some tools that do things better than others, for example making your games easier to port to different platforms. GameMaker: Studio(GMStudio) by Yoyogames is really good, but primarily for 2d games. It has a price for mobile exports, but you can use the free version for windows in order to learn the software, and whether this is something you will be able to do, and if you even like the program. Unity is king of the hill for 3d games(and it can be used for 2d as well, just not as well has GMStudio for that purpose). It offers exports for free unless you make too much money, unlike GMStudio, though there are some conditions, like the splash screen. It has a harder learning curve, and things are more complex than they have to be for some games, but you get a lot more power that way.

Either of these tools would be good to learn, one easier than the other. They aren't the only options out there, though they are likely the best if you want to target multiple devices. But they don't make your game for you. You WILL have to learn not only the software you choose, but the other concepts I mentioned above.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement