Great Monsters Of Our Times

Started by
79 comments, last by SpittingTrashcan 22 years, 4 months ago
Getting away from FPS games for a bit, while playing Final Fantasy VII I nearly jumped out of my skin several times while moving around with the submarine, turning around, and seeing the Emerald Weapon swimming right next to me. That thing always terrified me, because I knew it could beat the stuffing out of my pathetic team.
Advertisement
Gyorg, the giant fish boss from Zelda: Majora''s Mask totally freaked me out the first time I played it. You stand on a platform in the middle of an underground lake, and this huge fish is just swimming around in the water, waiting to strike.

The first time it leaped out, grabbed me, and dragged me underwater, I almost peed my pants. And then when it finally released me, I desperately tried to swim back to the platform, but half the time it ate me again, just as I was climbing back on.

Probably what made it the worst, though, was knowing that if I couldn''t beat him before my time was up, I would have to play through the whole temple again, just to get to him, because the world would reset.

j
In AvP, the facehugger scared the crap out of me. It''d always be in dark areas, and then it''d leap at you and scream. I had to take breaks from the game to settle my nerves, especially on the Colony level.

------------------------------
Omnipotent_Q
"Natural Gas! It gives you... ideas!"
------------------------------Omnipotent_Q"Poor people are crazy. I'm eccentric."
Resident evil 1 was a masterpiece. Every time you opened the door, the loading screen would appear with the door opening. Those 2 seconds before you actually entered were packfull of suspense. Remember walking down a corridor when suddenly, 2 dogs crash through the windows and run towards you. I almost crapped in my pants. The worse enemies...I dont remember what they are called but they appeared towards the end of RE1. They were humanoid and they could kill you in a single strike at times. I remember the first time I ran into one. I was re-entering the house. I wasnt expecting a thing since I had already cleared it of monsters when I found myself 10 feet away from a gruesome creature, it ran towards me as I attempted to plug it full of bullets, but I was too slow and in one swipe of its arm, my head was off. I still remember that exact moment.

I believe that the atmosphere has a lot to do with the monster. You could have the stupidest monster such as a simple dog, but a game like resident evil can turn those dogs into fearsome beasts of nightmares.

Edited by - hapaboy on December 3, 2001 6:44:44 AM
hapaboy,

I have to totally agree...resident evil one and the rest of the series would have to be my choice. The Chimeras and Hunters in one...the lickers in two. Anything half rotting, full of teeth trying to kill you is scary.

As for movies...

theres just something about the BLOB...ick...its a liquid er...gelatin...and it can eat you...or pull you down a sink.

the CHUD movie is pretty messed up to...

if its trying to eat your brain...that''s scary too...

Brains! Brains!

www.orlandodawn.freeservers.com
www.orlandodawn.freeservers.com
One of the nastiest little critters in Half-Life was the headcrab - a tiny crabsized flesh coloured thing on four short legs - that could leap up anywhere and bite your head. They were especially scary in the areas in which you had to crawl in pitch blackness to get to another bit - and every corner, you never knew if one of *them* were hiding around the corner... ugh..
The Realm Of The DesPlesda: tarPit Software
Also, anybody remember Shodan from System Shock 2?

We are, we are...

Once damn freaky computer that needs serious therapy.
The Realm Of The DesPlesda: tarPit Software
That''s why I love RPG''s. For 30-odd levels, I was terrified everytime I could see the details of sand giants in the oasis or Norrath. But ever since I started kiting them with my druid, I love showing off to the low-levels.

Everquest doesn''t scare you because the monster is scary. Everquest scares you because the monster can kill you in a couple seconds and make you have to gain hours worth of xp all over again.

FFVII shocked me (didn''t scared me). The first time I saw president Shinra slouched in his seat with a long sword coming out of his back, I jumped. It''s not that scary, but I''d just never seen that sorta thing in a Final Fantasy. And then when Aeris died, now that''s just sad. Why''d ya have to do it, Sephiroth? WWHYYYYYY!!!?!?

The only Half-life monster I''ve seen was when I was watching my friend beat the demo. If I remember correctly, you walk into some room and a huge bug crashes through a wall. My friend started firing at it. Then, the huge thing looks at you. That''s when we both muttered "Holy crap!" It starts walking towards you slowly, and you''re guns are blazin. And then as it gets close to you, the screen fades out. If the lights were off and it was nighttime, we mighta wet ourselves, but since it was daytime, we just said ".....sweet." and went to play something else.
C:DOSC:DOSRUNRUN DOSRUN
The alien from invasion of the body snatchers was kinda scary too, since they ate (or more ''sucked the life out of you'') you in your sleep.
And it''s always very scary not to know if someone you love is actually that person or just a hollow, shallow ''image'' of whom he/she was.

---
Allow me to clear my head for once...
Stop polluting the air!
---Allow me to clear my head for once...Stop polluting the air!
The only thing that scared me was that faggit Chucky. He looked like an innocent doll but oh man...

I guess instead of another alien or zombie you could have a monster that doesn''t look like a badass.
Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get drunk all the time and have the time of your life. ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement