Ghosts - an idea to improve NPC AI

Started by
20 comments, last by Diodor 22 years, 4 months ago
I can see this idea leading to some other nifty things as well. Consider an RPG: all the NPCs can have ghosted routines. If you change the world, you change people''s routines and they can then talk about it without further prompting. Instead of having preprogrammed "events" which NPCs are preset to "hear" about, you can actually have a non-predetermined effect on people''s lives, and they will notice and talk about it. Thus you can have a reactive plotline instead of a rigorous step-by-step progression. You gain nonlinearity without losing storyline. Sweet!

-SpittingTrashcan

You can''t have "civilization" without "civil".
----------------------------------------------------SpittingTrashcanYou can't have "civilization" without "civil".
Advertisement
This may only be an evolutionary step in AI, but it is nonetheless a very big and important step. Diodor, you are too modest!

I too plan to implement this. Not in my current project, I can't really see how this would carry over to a strategy very cleanly, but most likely in my following project.

Once again, commendable work! Have a cigar!

[Added: Okay, actually, now I can see where this can be used in my game. The spirit idea can be applied along with a few other techniques to gauge the security and strength of an opponent's base, but only to provide intel to the player, whether human or AI. This allows for a better planned attack, rather than just throwing hordes of tanks, soldiers, etc. at the enemy stronghold and praying to Bob that you don't get kicked in the nuts. And seeing how strongholds are an important part of my game and all... Mwahahahaha...]

Chris Charabaruk (aka coldacid)

Meldstar Studios - Creation, cubed.

Edited by - coldacid on December 5, 2001 6:13:34 AM

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement