Space for Unity refugees?

Started by
37 comments, last by BoredMormon 7 years, 10 months ago

Is it more likely that unity has put their company at risk by doing something which hurts their community? Or is it more likely that a few members of this million person community are unhappy about some new community guideline?

The forum changes are really just the straw that broke the camel's back for many of us. What Unity says and what they do are two different things. Just a few weeks prior to the forum change, they changed payment processors for the asset store so many people from the US can't make payments. I about had a heart attack when my debit card came back declined. They've changed pricing strategies twice during the 5.x cycle in ways that angered Pro customers. They dump news or drastic changes on us and then don't stick around to respond to concerns or complaints. They have almost zero engagement with the community they claim to love and respect so much. So it isn't just forums I'm looking to replace. There's a good chance that my next game will be made in Lumberyard (if they get proper FBX import working) or Unreal.

When you rely on a company's product to earn a living, you want to know that the company has a similar vision to you. Instead, they've made it harder to get payments for assets, which effects the income of asset store developers, they've made it significantly harder to communicate on the forum, which makes it harder to provide support for those assets. And we have no idea when the next change is going to come down the pike and how it will effect our ability to do our jobs effectively. All of this might be fine if they would engage more with the community. But alas, they don't.

It isn't just a guideline change either. The software they've switched to doesn't even appear to be made for forum usage. If you edit a post, you are given fields for regression status and FogBugz ID numbers. Huh? Doing anything at all, including posting a reply to a thread, requires a new page load. Hit boxes for what should be simple URLs don't work right on mobile. The new moderator controls are so complicated that moderators are refusing to even use them. Notifications barely work. There's no Ajax or dynamic content to be found out the site aside from a popup when someone likes your post. It's bad.

If things don't change, I think we'll all be glad to have a forum to come to and actual discuss game development or related topics without all the constant negativity that Unity brings to the community. There are too many things in this world to annoy me without my job being one of them.

Advertisement

So just to fill in guys that aren't from the Unity board..

They used to run XenForo and it was really solid. They wanted to interconnect more site features so they licensed Lithium. They made the Xenforo forum read-only and fired up the Lithium version a few days later after migrating the databases.

Well unfortunately the migration was a complete disaster. Swathes of posts disappeared, no PM's migrated, no thread subscriptions migrated, the default layout is unanimously abhorred by the entire community, and lots of other problems/complaints. Essentially they went live with what appears to be a completely untested system after the first pass at data migration.

No one likes it, no one is happy and they're currently trying to communicate with Lithium but its all across the pond so time zones bork any kind of rapid scheduling and its taking forever to get solutions on what is involved with rollback etc while leadership is in SF, the forum team is in Coopenhagen and Lithium guys are somewhere else I think.

So while that basically leaves most users trying to avoid the forums now, I wouldn't expect loads of people to shift over to a generic forum with a single section for Unity because it will never compare to the quality, convenience, integration and 'officialness' of the legacy XenForo Unity forums. For myself, I just got a color inverter so I could read the text but all I post there for now is to update my asset threads.

They are rolling back, current data will be lost.

http://puu.sh/pXjGM.png

"UPDATE:

We are planning to rollback to the old forum -- more details will come on Monday. In order to rollback as soon as possible, the old forum may be reinstated without the past week's data, so please do save any recent content of importance in the meantime. We're sorry for any and all inconvenience this will cause. Thanks for being patient with us."

edit:

I have no idea how to embed or quote in this forum

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>be goodbe evilbut do it WELL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

They are rolling back

WOOP WOOP! F*CK YEAH! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Our pleas have been heard! I'm sooo happy to hear this! Time to cash in our promise to pretend the whole ordeal never happend :D.

I have no idea how to embed or quote in this forum

It's pretty much exactly the same as in the good old Unity forum. It just seems that the OnMouseUp event that opens the context menu with the quote button, needs to happen over a certain area of the post. So selecting left to right works better than right to left. Or you could just type the classic bbcode tags for quotes.

Aren't the thread tags on Gamedev.net supposed to handle things like various engines and such?

Maybe making those a little more obvious to use/filter by would go a long way toward giving the different engines/tools the feeling of a dedicated forum section without having to split them up between various headings?

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Seeing an awful lot of familiar avatars here...

I don't post here much, but I really like to browse since many of the topics contain some fairly in-depth theory on various game development problems. I really like the Unity community but it doesn't have any real spaces for discussing in-depth problems (like Collision, AI, Networking) and is mostly dedicated to using the engine's built in tools (as it should be, it's the Unity forum!)

Yay rollback! *thumbs up* I was really not a fan of the missing PMs, no longer threaded PMs, constantly being logged out, and blinding white theme. :wacko:

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Welcome new members!

Good to hear you've apparently got a good outcome with a rollback happening, but you're all more than welcome to stay here as well to join some of the less Unity-specific discussions. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

Glad to hear it's being sorted.

I can relate, I made the mistake myself of doing something similar to one of my own communities years ago.

I updated the irc server software of my (at the time) 3000 user irc network to something we'd created that wasn't ready for prime time yet. It took many months to get it stable and in the meantime the community suffered crashes and desynchs as I refused to just roll back.

It was a matter of selfish pride.

It took years for the community to recover completely.

I do hope unity didn't make the same mistake I did as they have much more to lose than I did...

Hope you all stick around. Fresh blood is always good!

Of course. Would Unity developers like to have a Unity specific development forum on GameDev.net? If so, we can make that happen. Just need enough people to voice their opinion.

I support that idea. (the same could be done for all other engines I guess).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement