Looking 4 Open Source Code

Started by
14 comments, last by thine_idiot 22 years, 5 months ago
Hello I am currently partaking in a group activity and we have gathered enough hands to develop a game. How ever we are torn upon Ideas for what we should do. There is strong bias in our group towards the RPG genre. I was hoping any other game programmers out there that remember being in this situation could direct us to were we might be able to find any free source code for games in any language or platform. If you know where to find source code for an RPG genre that would probably be most apprectiated by us... Thank you... Thine_idiot and the moron minions a_village_idiot@yahoo.com
Advertisement
quote:Original post by thine_idiot
Hello I am currently partaking in a group activity and we have gathered enough hands to develop a game. How ever we are torn upon Ideas for what we should do. There is strong bias in our group towards the RPG genre.

I was hoping any other game programmers out there that remember being in this situation could direct us to were we might be able to find any free source code for games in any language or platform. If you know where to find source code for an RPG genre that would probably be most apprectiated by us... Thank you...

Thine_idiot and the moron minions

a_village_idiot@yahoo.com

Just out of curiosity, if you went to all the trouble to gather programmers to "create" a game, why do you now want source code? Plan the game, program the game, test the game. Seems kind of defeating the purpose of programming to steal someone elses work, dont you think?
Are you familiar with the term "Search Engine"? Start there.
you don''t need source code!
you need some design ideas!

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Welcome, fellow idiot. On behalf of all idiots, I''d just like to welcome you to GDNet.

(You''re new here, right?)
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Just out of curiosity, if you went to all the trouble to gather programmers to "create" a game, why do you now want source code? Plan the game, program the game, test the game. Seems kind of defeating the purpose of programming to steal someone elses work, dont you think?

By definition, using free source code isn''t stealing, that''s why it''s called free.

Notwithstanding, it is said that talent copies, but genius steals.

Refering to other''s source code for inspiration is not evil. It may reveal ideas and techniques that would not otherwise have occured to you.

However, thine_idiot will have to be careful that he does not simply rehash ideas he sees in other games. This is okay, and often even desirable, for formal software, but won''t be any good for games.

linuxgames have some free games.

sourceforge have a large selection of games in various stages of development.

Various others can be found around and about.

A final note: be wary of free games for Windows: they will often be of poor quality, shareware, or demo versions of full games. You''ll have better luck with games for Linux or other free operating systems.

Abolish Software Patents! | freepatents | lpf
CoV
quote:Original post by Mayrel
Notwithstanding, it is said that talent copies, but genius steals.[...]
Refering to other''s source code for inspiration is not evil. It may reveal ideas and techniques that would not otherwise have occured to you.

i agree... but since this guy doesn''t have any idea what kind of game he wants to make (except a vague idea about doing an RPG, maybe), source code won''t do anything for him; source code might be good for implementation ideas, but when there is nothing to implement it is useless.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
I never said it was a group of programmers.... I just said a group of people.... And thank you Mayrel for your honost help as for the rest no thanks for your advice....

I am looking for various source codes across the different platforms. To get a wider understanding about whats been done and how much code, was needed to develop... Perhaps if the world was full of less asses it would be nice...

*sigh*

Search, you dumb fuck. If you want source code, try typing it in Google. It would have brought up major repositories like SourceForge and Freshmeat. Also try the Linux Game Tome.

Learning to acquire knowledge independently is a necessary skill; I suggest you learn it before you call well-meaning individuals asses. It would also be good for you to read the site FAQ and pick up some netiquette.
Nicely put...
CorsairK8@Fnemesis.comLinux Debian/GNU RulezThis is my signitory!C Is Tha Best!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement