Anybody here used Alchemy (or similar)?

Started by
0 comments, last by mlambert 21 years, 10 months ago
Hi all, Has anyone had any experiance with Alchemy: http://www.intrinsic.com or any engine similar in general? We''ve got to test it''s purpose as a cross-platform engine, but I''m extremely skeptical as to the way it works, plus there are a number of issues with it that make me wonder (like the need to use another piece of middleware like Mathengine or Havok). I''d rather code my own engine for one of the next-gen machines and make it modular enough to only have to change the gfx/sound interface, then at least beable to harness the power of each system rather than do a ''port''... Any thoughts? Marc Lambert marc@darkhex.com

Marc. Help Wanted template | Game development isn't easy! | Indie interviews
Bloodlust is back! -Leave your morals and political correctness at the door.

Advertisement
crap.. just noticed the date on this.. oh well...

Intrinsic is cool, code is very clean ( having reviewed the source ), their renedering code is pretty good (not outstanding, but good). Cross platform works fine, optimizer is a nice tool. To be honest most non-techie types tend to be overlay impressed by the downloader/previewer for the cross platform/plug-in side.

And you incorrectly stated that you need other middleware, you don''t, you can choose to use those, but, basically it''s just a renderer+high level scene management+tool set.

The scene management and tools are by far the most impressive and useful part. But, if you have anything reasonably similar, it isn''t worth the cash, given you only purchase the right to use it per-product, you aren''t gaining any IP rights.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement