Game Engine (or game to mod)

Started by
7 comments, last by Infinisearch 7 years, 6 months ago
Been trying to search as I know this has been discussed before, but coming up blank.

My wife has some ideas on a game she wants to make, but she is more from a graphics / writing perspective - But part of the project is that she wants to learn some programming.

First she was looking at Unity, but I think that might be to much from the ground up for her - We're looking to build an quite free form RPG experience, with elements of trades killing, character development, questing (driving a story).

Ideally, she wants the game to be first perspective as well.

So, looking for ideas on game engines, or even highly mod able games we can work with (Neverwinter night I thought could be an option, but it feels quite dated).

Many thanks
// Jens
Advertisement

Skyrim maybe?

Skyrim maybe?

Can you create a entire new world there, or just mod into theirs?

// Jens

Not entirely sure, you can add entirely new lands and edit their lands, seems like it should give you enough control. Worse comes to worse, modding in some a teleporter at the beginning that sends the player to your custom lands might be enough.

I was thinking skyrim too maybe. but TESedit 5.0 looks to be almost like using unity.

and given that:

she wants the game to be first perspective as well

and

she was looking at Unity, but I think that might be to much from the ground up for her

she may be SOL.

If you want to build a rocket, you're going to have to learn rocket science.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Thanks for the input so far, any other ideas?

What if easing up some requirements like first person? Anyone got experience with RPG Maker MV? Or something similar?

// Jens

How big a world are we talking about? Anyway I second Skyrim since there have been total conversion mods for it: see skywind and http://sureai.net/games/enderal/?lang=en

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

Thanks, will have a look at Skyrim for sure since that seems a re-occuring thought :)

As for world size, I think that fairly small is fine at this stage. I'm sure long term big would be great, but as a starting point anything is likely to do.

// Jens

As for world size, I think that fairly small is fine at this stage. I'm sure long term big would be great, but as a starting point anything is likely to do.

Yeah you can start small but if you want to go real big that will affect your choice of engine/game to mod. Luckily Skyrim can handle large worlds.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement