Worlds within worlds!

Started by
42 comments, last by jpetrie 7 years, 4 months ago

That depends how it is done, mine is a single render pass to do the whole thing.

So, you're clipping the object going through the portal while rendering? That sounds similar to screen space portal rendering. Understand, we're not trying to be dismissive or rude, but you are coming across as though you have this great idea that no one has ever seen before and are reluctant to give details, when the technique is approaching.. 30 years old?... now.

I *WANT* to say: "great job!", but you're going to have to come to the realization that this isn't a new and great technique. Get the money idea out of your head and discuss the details, otherwise this thread is useless.
Advertisement

Then why not just post this as a personal journal post about you implementing portal rendering? as I see absolutely nothing groundbreaking not already done in lots of other engines or titles.

the reason I have to say its not groundbreaking, is because you seem to think you invented something which looks and acts exactly like a traditional portal rendering engine does. :mellow:

It's easy copying someones else's work and making money... though I simply wanted to show that it is possible.

We already know it is. :blink:

The whole scene is just one render.

So how is it done?

That depends how it is done, mine is a single render pass to do the whole thing.

So, you're clipping the object going through the portal while rendering? That sounds similar to screen space portal rendering. Understand, we're not trying to be dismissive or rude, but you are coming across as though you have this great idea that no one has ever seen before and are reluctant to give details, when the technique is approaching.. 30 years old?... now.

I *WANT* to say: "great job!", but you're going to have to come to the realization that this isn't a new and great technique. Get the money idea out of your head and discuss the details, otherwise this thread is useless.

The end result looks similar to screen space portal rendering, but does that include the object sticking outside the portal?

This "screen space portal rendering" should be called "bodging with textures". CACP is more professional.

I still believe CACP is new.

But yes it is done by clipping :)

The question is what is the clip plane math?

I don't want to argue with anyone, I come in piece :)

... hurry up ;)

... hurry up ;)

But is it done by textures or CACP?

I believe it's done with textures and rendering the object going through the portal twice.

Oh I forgot... CACP can include light and shadows going both in and out the portal. :). You can't do that with textures. (I win!)

Looks good though! :)

I don't know because you won't tell us what CACP is.

I'm guessing:

Cant Achieve Correct Portals?

:lol:

the first portal rendering usage in games, didn't even have dared to try using render to texture, that means even something like mirrors was impossible had it not been for the original portal rendering technique used back then.

Duke Nukem 3D from 1996 used it.

then you also have Marathon from 1994.

I don't know because you won't tell us what CACP is.

I'm guessing:

Cant Achieve Correct Portals?

:lol:

Yea! Bit like calling a skinny man fatty! :)

You made laugth...

the first portal rendering usage in games, didn't even have dared to try using render to texture, that means even something like mirrors was impossible had it not been for the original portal rendering technique used back then.

Duke Nukem 3D from 1996 used it.

then you also have Marathon from 1994.

Does that include both light and shadow both directions? In and out the portal?

That I have got to see? :D

If someone can help me with this : https://www.gamedev.net/topic/685005-render-cubemap-to-another-cubemap-with-transparancy/

Ill show you lights and shadows :)

So, first you made the only comparison on how you clipped the scenery according to the portal, now you require it to prove light and shadow as well?

you are aware it was impossible for them to develop something which was flat out impossible for hardware to calculate at the time as it was not hardware accelerated(eg it did not benefit from having an insanely powerful GPU?)

So, first you made the only comparison on how you clipped the scenery according to the portal, now you require it to prove light and shadow as well?

you are aware it was impossible for them to develop something which was flat out impossible for hardware to calculate at the time as it was not hardware accelerated(eg it did not benefit from having an insanely powerful GPU?)

I know that.

It's done with textures I believe...

Or they used CACP, and it's been a secret ever since.

Now there is light and shadow CACP is the only way.

Still believe I win...:D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement