• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Theokoles

Implementing seamless sea state transitions for a water shader in UE4

This topic is 530 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm the developer of Physical Water Surface, an ocean material for Unreal Engine 4 based on Gerstner Waves. One of the most requested features was to implement seamless transitions between different sea states. It took some time, but I think the results speak for themselves. You can see the transitions in this video:  

During a transition, I gradually update the wave parameters each frame in such a way that the change in sea state is completely smooth. The algorithm takes into account the position of the camera, making sure that be transition looks good from the point of view of the player. Please let me know what you think about my implementation! I've developed the transition algorithm myself and would like to hear how it compares to what other people have done.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!