Old NEHE downloads

Started by
4 comments, last by kburkhart84 7 years ago

So I wanted to download a 13 year old project I made back when I was learning OGL with NEHE's tutorials. I submitted it and it ended up in the downloads under the letter 'S.' I can go under the archive wayback machine and it still shows the old download pages, but the actual zip file is not available. There are 2 purposes to this post.

1. Is it possible that this file is still somewhere in NEHE's archives? It isn't directly available on the NEHE page as there is no link to the old downloads. Much of the old page is there, but not that section for whatever reason. I'd kind of like to get it if possible.

2. I had a bit of a laugh. In searching for "space_battle_3d.zip" I ran across a couple of "Source Code Collection" websites. Apparently they charge over $30 a month or $200 a year for VIP access, or if you upload 5 "source codes" you get free access. My extremely old space battle 3d game happens to be part of this website. I don't think it is cool that someone is possibly making money off my old work, but I'm not going to do anything with it, as it isn't worth it, and unless someone actually opens up the game files(help.txt or something) there is no way to prove I wrote it anyway. I have a post that was one of my first few posts here on gamedev though that advertises the game here. It brings back memories for sure.

Advertisement

1. Is it possible that this file is still somewhere in NEHE's archives? It isn't directly available on the NEHE page as there is no link to the old downloads. Much of the old page is there, but not that section for whatever reason. I'd kind of like to get it if possible.

Yes, it's possible. I can't promise anything, but as part of our upcoming upgrade I'll be digging out old archive items and bringing them to light. If I get a chance I'll take a look for it sometime in the next week - if you don't hear anything then remind me.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Man this brings back memories. Hopefully the old tutorials are gone or well marked as historical references only :)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Yes, it's possible. I can't promise anything, but as part of our upcoming upgrade I'll be digging out old archive items and bringing them to light. If I get a chance I'll take a look for it sometime in the next week - if you don't hear anything then remind me.

Sweet! I kind of want to "brag" about one of my really early projects and the itty bitty thumbnail(which is all that remains besides a text description on the wayback machine) is not enough. In fact, I think I could get it working on Windows 10. I don't remember doing anything in particular that would cause problems.

To close out this thread, it was found and a link provided via PM.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement