Skyrim item description box

Started by
6 comments, last by Martinc31 6 years, 11 months ago

I am a newbie at this forum and I have a question for designers who might also be gamers. I would like to design my own item descriptions in Skyrim item description boxes and save them in high quality so I can use it out of the game, send it to friends or print it if possible. For example imagine a black Skyrim description box saying:

Martin's Robe of good luck, Value: 960, Weight: 1 etc. Do you have any ideas if there is something like a template for these description boxes I could use or how could I design a similar description box?

An example of an item description box I found on google:

u4cY0.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

There is a million ways to make these.

The background is is just a texture/ image.

The words are the text of the Graphical-User-Interface editor, most engines have there own.If you don't plan on using a engine then search how to do text for your render.

Advice: only make the corner of the box, then tile it to get the full box. I see a lot of developers with stretched pixel, using larger textures will reduce the stretch.

For more precise advice, you can tell us what engine you are using.

I would like to design my own item descriptions in Skyrim item description boxes and save them in high quality so I can use it out of the game, send it to friends or print it

For legal reasons, I don't recommend you use the exact graphics. I don't know how many friends you want to send gift items or gift cards to who will care if it doesn't look exactly like it's from Skyrim. Create something that evokes the same feeling or quality.
Anyway, this isn't a game design question - moving to Visual Arts.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

For more precise advice, you can tell us what engine you are using.

We need more information to better help you.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

From the initial post, I don't see that this is about an engine or about coding this, but just about reproducing the art.

This is fairly simple if you break it down, and easy to reproduce in Photoshop or similar.

Background: partial screenshot from Skyrim. Use PrintScreen or whatever the screenshot key in Steam is (F12?)

UI element: white decorative celtic-style knotwork on a black background, made semi-opaque. It includes the light horizontal rule in the middle.

Text: probably just the Futura Condensed typeface. White for key elements, grey for others, all with a black drop-shadow to the bottom right.

You guys are awesome, I did not expect so many responses from you!

Unfortunatelly, you could say I am graphically illiterate yet I really enjoy good game design, but never really looked into it a little deeper. I admire the work of people in this field like you guys!!

From the initial post, I don't see that this is about an engine or about coding this, but just about reproducing the art.

Yes. I haven't used any engine or something like that, I only have experiences in work with graphs of data (GNUplot program), which can be edited in the simples things like ms paint (lol). That's why I appreciate explanations in simple terms :)

I will try to follow Kylotan's method and learn to work with photoshop a little bit.

UI element: white decorative celtic-style knotwork on a black background, made semi-opaque. It includes the light horizontal rule in the middle.

Text: probably just the Futura Condensed typeface. White for key elements, grey for others, all with a black drop-shadow to the bottom right.

Thank you for the description. With enough googling I think I can do it. I will post my result here if I ll finish it.

Thanks for all your help! Don't worry about the legal matter, I am not going to distribute or sell it :)

Cheers!!

Don't worry about the legal matter, I am not going to distribute or sell it :)

That is not a legal defense. You should read the FAQs in the Business/Law forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Please don't worry about it, it will not look exactly the same, but as you said, I will try to work on it to evoke a similar atmosphere.
Thanks for advice.

Don't worry about the legal matter, I am not going to distribute or sell it :)

That is not a legal defense. You should read the FAQs in the Business/Law forum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement