I have been centrist/centre-left, Now I am going Right Wing

Started by
69 comments, last by warhound 6 years, 10 months ago

We have enough laws on the books to deal with the issues we have now concerning hate speech, terrorism, extremist violence. So I don't see the need to jump off a cliff to enact draconian measures to stop these acts. In terms of Europe, UK in particular, it seems their citizens have the right idea. They can clearly separate the bad from the good (at least according to the media). People on terror watchlists and have been legitimately vetted to be legitimate threats (website viewing, actual travel, social media posts, criminal record, known associates) should be watched closely, among other things. Deported/expelled, as long there is compelling evidence, I'd say go for it.

If Europe truly wants to put an end to this, then a lot of these North African and Middle Eastern countries need to be stabilized and engaged with. Otherwise, they'll be complaining about immigration for decades to come.

Couldn't agree with this more. It's not really much tougher than this. One thing I'd also add in is that the economic gap over the years has only grown across the world. There's also the issue that resources are extremely scarce. The Syrian Civil War, for example, actually started because of the mismanagement of a water crisis/drought. It's driving immigration to the West. Ironically enough, although climate change is pretty low on Trump and Company's agenda, it will in the coming years add socioeconomic problems that will contribute more to the immigration problem. Some of the countries that will be the hardest hit first are also going to be many of the countries that already have droves of immigration to the West.

There's a lot of talk about whether or not the so-called SJW movement is just a fringe movement or if it's becoming a mainstream ideology. I don't see it as mainstream really. It seems like it's mainstream, but it's mainly just because of how damned loud it is. Technology, on top of that, is like a goddamned Beats surround sound system amped up at full volume for these sort of movements. On top of that, many websites/news outlets like to report about these sorts of people precisely because of how far out it is. There have always been and will always be extremists in any group that shares a similar ideology. Really, imo, that's just a fact of life. For the case of the 'Left', it may not be the best way to characterize it. For one, I'm not sure all of us here could really even agree what the 'Left' is. Some would just say 'Democrat', while others would argue 'Sanders supporter', etc. There are several distinct groups in the 'Left', which don't all necessarily agree with each other. Just take the entire election in the US. Look at how much dissent there was on rallying behind Clinton, some arguing that she's not a true 'Liberal'. It may not be the best example, but the point is valid, imo.

I would say, that despite how it is more fringe now, people are being driven more to the extreme sides. It's a bit of a feedback loop. As one side 'ups the ante', people start feeling more and more alienated by that side and start preferring the other extreme as it seems like a better alternative. Then the same happens on the other side. And so the cycle continues. Right now, you see reactions to Trump's extremism/outlandishness/whatever the fuck he's doing along with his base's own fanatic devotion/nuttier elements resulting in people being pushed more to the fringes. This discussion could probably warrant a thread of its own imo about the Western political landscape. But here's the real problem with this entire thing: when people seem to disagree on what should just be simple facts, and seem to believe in a different reality, it's really tough to create any reconciliation.

And frankly, reading this thread (which I regret) makes me glad I have very little to do with this site now... the atmosphere is frankly sickening to behold and is just another group of people whos 'solutions' are going to make the problem worse...

It's definitely hard to recommend a site to someone if it needs to be prefaced with "people only occasionally suggest killing everyone in your country, and those posts usually get deleted."

Talk is cheap. It's real easy to post BS on the Internet. That goes for everyone. Myself included.

There's definitely a rising fringe left enhanced by insulated university culture, and there's definitely a rising fringe right enhanced by newly formed tailored news sites.

The question is what the long term implications of both of these are. Odds are when people graduate college they'll grow out of "SJWism", and when people catch unreliable news outlets reporting incorrectly they'll drop those as well.

The more important question will be which parts of these ideologies will be assimilated into our larger cultures. I think at least from the fringe right there's going to be a very large mistrust of media organizations for decades.

Probably warrants an entire thread on its own, but realize that much of the 'fake news stories' and calling the main stream media 'rigged' is how Trump deludes much of his base. Maybe it's how he deludes himself too, who knows. Point is that it's all a largely engineered lie by particularly destructive individuals.

The fringe left, on the other hand, is born out of pure zealotry and rigidity to a set of ideals. It's people trying to show off as badasses, imo.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement