Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Impression, a C# cross platform game framework to create 2D and 3D games

Started by pratamabayu Jun 19, 2017 at 10:02 AM 7 replies 4k views
Original Post
pratamabayu
pratamabayu

Hi all,

I just released "Impression", it is made with pleasure but serious, a C# cross platform game framework to create 2D and 3D games.

Impression runs on all majors desktop and mobile platforms. Currently, supported platforms are windows, universal windows platform (Windows Store App, Mobile, IoT, Team, Holographic, and Xbox One), Mac/OSX, Android, iOS, and Linux. Everything you need like data driven, content pipeline, graphics, input, audio, media, and animation to create awesome game, realtime application, or interactive media can be done with Impression.

Please see impression.id for more details and https://patreon.com/impression

-- pratamabayu

Thank

pratamabayu
pratamabayu

Has anyone tried impression?. Tell me if you have trouble using it.


Thank,

pratamabayu (http://impression.id)

kburkhart84
kburkhart84

I currently don't have use for a 'framework' such as this or I'd try it out.

Might I suggest though, you take a look at a couple other engines out there, say Unity, GODOT, and maybe even Gamemaker Studio(just for comparison on the 2d side). I suggest you take a look at the feature set they have, in Unity's free version, GODOT(free), and maybe Gamemaker, and see if your engine has something to offer that none of the others have. I don't know your engine, but from what little I saw, the only thing in general it has totally different is the idea that it is a "framework" more than an engine. If you intend to have to be a nice flagship feature, maybe advertise it, and go into more detail what it means and how it compares to other engines accordingly. Also, if you have other features that your competition does not, give them the same treatment.



Spool
Spool

Seems to be very close in resemblance to XNA and Monogame. Is this by design? I could see it being beneficial as Monogame is very popular in the C# world.

Also I know that it is new. But the documentation on your site stops at SpriteFont. Not sure if you just haven't gotten any further or if there is a problem.

pratamabayu
pratamabayu
On 6/21/2017 at 0:03 PM, kburkhart84 said:

I currently don't have use for a 'framework' such as this or I'd try it out.

Might I suggest though, you take a look at a couple other engines out there, say Unity, GODOT, and maybe even Gamemaker Studio(just for comparison on the 2d side). I suggest you take a look at the feature set they have, in Unity's free version, GODOT(free), and maybe Gamemaker, and see if your engine has something to offer that none of the others have. I don't know your engine, but from what little I saw, the only thing in general it has totally different is the idea that it is a "framework" more than an engine. If you intend to have to be a nice flagship feature, maybe advertise it, and go into more detail what it means and how it compares to other engines accordingly. Also, if you have other features that your competition does not, give them the same treatment.

Hi @kburkhart84, sorry for late response.

Impression is not a game engine, just a framework. It is designed so that users can create their game engine, freely and as needed.

pratamabayu
pratamabayu
1 hour ago, Spool said:

Seems to be very close in resemblance to XNA and Monogame. Is this by design? I could see it being beneficial as Monogame is very popular in the C# world.

Also I know that it is new. But the documentation on your site stops at SpriteFont. Not sure if you just haven't gotten any further or if there is a problem.

Hi @Spool,

Yup, I'm fan of XNA. Impression was designed like XNA 4.0 API, but only partially adopted, please take a look the FAQ.

The last month, I was busy with other things. I hope to finish the basic documentation and launch discussion (forum) soon.

Have you tried Impression?. Tell me if you have trouble using it.

kostile
kostile

I have been using xna and monogame for a few years now and i am curious about this. Are you able to boast any improvements or anything? Monogame is open source and it seems like this is redundant unless there is some major overhead difference that I'm not aware of.

pratamabayu
pratamabayu

Hi @kostile, sorry for late reply, I was preoccupied with teaching activities in the last few weeks .

I'm glad you've experienced with XNA and Monogame, so it should be easy if you try Impression.

Impression offers:

  1. Built-in animation system in Impression.Animations assembly, see more example-07-skinnedmodel.
  2. Texture atlas content pipiline and break it to individual sprite, see more example-03-sprite.
  3. A command based (ProjectBuilder) to generate cross-platform game project, see more.
  4. Auto scale screen resolution in Android and iOS, just set your fixed resolution then Impression scale (stretch) to native resolution without lost your fixed resolution and input data.
  5. Built-in any sensor inputs including Gyrometer, Magnetometer, Accelerometer.

Impression has just had a dedicated forum and Impression 0.9.5 just released, see more the announcement.

Please visit http://impression.id

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.