How do I stop something I call "Story Crowding"?

Started by
6 comments, last by caBoej 6 years, 10 months ago

Hello. Currently, I'm working on my first game. I want it to be a 3D (I know, it sounds insane) horror trilogy. I'm currently working with Blitz3D. However, it isn't the software I want to talk about, but more of the story (I have acquired quite a bit of 3D knowledge). You see, I've been trying to focus on a story, however, I'm unintentionally crowding myself with too many ideas. I'm thinking of putting everything into separate chapters, but I'm still getting crowded by ideas. I'm also trying to avoid cliche. I want my game to be something similar to SCP: Containment Breach, but still be original. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

P1TCH3R

Advertisement

There is mind map software for this.

You just make a bubble with your new idea and keep arranging them around as you add ideas. This way you can build a story from pieces.

If you are over crowded keep some ideas for other games, you will make more than one if you complete your first.

Do you think you might be able to recommend some mind mapping software? I haven't found any that are very user-friendly.

40 minutes ago, P1TCH3R said:

Do you think you might be able to recommend some mind mapping software? I haven't found any that are very user-friendly.

That is the thing, you need something that works for you.

I stopped using software like that when I got my first stylus, drawing mind maps is easier, so I am out of date with these

if you don't like mind maps, try sticky notes, if you have windows you should have them already.

http://www.capterra.com/idea-management-software/ check this to see if there is any thing you like.

If your PC has a word pad or any text software that can store images, use that and add a image the describes each idea.

Considering that you plan on making games you should have some programming skills, why not make a simple way of storing ideas?

It would be a good exercise for making games.

4 hours ago, P1TCH3R said:

I'm unintentionally crowding myself with too many ideas. I'm thinking of putting everything into separate chapters, but I'm still getting crowded by ideas.

Try a narrowly focused story first. Who is your protagonist? What is the protagonist's back story? What is the world in which this story takes place? What situation is the protagonist in at the start of the game's story? Then walk the protagonist through the series of events and decision nodes. Other characters will be encountered along the way, but focus on how those characters impact the protagonist for now.

You can keep a separate collection of other ideas, related ideas, possible side stories, but keep them out of your core story until you're happy with the core story.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thank you, guys. I will definitely consider your suggestions!

Generally, fleshing out and writing down the story, specifically the one you intend to use gives some ease of thought.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement