Ever changing world

Started by
7 comments, last by waxxy 6 years, 9 months ago

I gotta say, I'm not a dev or an artist, but I'm starting an open world game called Warbands in which anything can change for better or worse causing branching effects and creating different opportunities. Like say a long-standing empire fell, sending hierarchy's fleeing with riches. This attracts mercenaries scouring the lands in pursuit with maps provided by their sources. You can brutally rush their caravans or slip an agent in and use a document forger, then swap the map with a false copy. Additionally empires represent Gods who may ravage things if they become too one-sided.

Conceptually the combat will be side-scrolling, using random generation for deep exploration and unique instances, uncertain on town interactions for now. I need general advice on how to approach this thing though. What's the easiest way, what are the best options for a combat system, effective design, examples I can work with, stuff like that I guess?

I just started the art but here's some random concept stuff made in paint   Ya that one lol http://imgur.com/w8vW5yG

Advertisement

This seems far too ambitious for a first project. Starting with your "dream game" project is a common mistake. Often times the project is so grand in scope and beyond the dreamer's skill level that they quickly become overwhelmed and frustrated to the point of quitting. Many of us have been there (myself included). Work up to your dream game by learning the skills on smaller projects so you can do it justice. 

Cool start on the pixel art. Instead of Paint, check out Paint.NET. It's free and has a lot more features than basic old Paint. :)

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

6 hours ago, waxxy said:

What's the easiest way, what are the best options for a combat system, effective design, examples I can work with, stuff like that I guess?

That's pretty broad. Can you narrow it down to more focused questions?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

19 hours ago, Eck said:

This seems far too ambitious for a first project. Starting with your "dream game" project is a common mistake. Often times the project is so grand in scope and beyond the dreamer's skill level that they quickly become overwhelmed and frustrated to the point of quitting. Many of us have been there (myself included). Work up to your dream game by learning the skills on smaller projects so you can do it justice. 

Cool start on the pixel art. Instead of Paint, check out Paint.NET. It's free and has a lot more features than basic old Paint. :)

- Eck

You mean I can't just youtube my way through X) that's what I hoped anyway. Would creating each component separately as a 'game' be more feasible and learn that way? Or would it still take over a year? Because I only really had interest making something a bit bolder. Also I'll checkout Paint.net thanks :)

@Tom Sloper - I can't think of anything real specific.. maybe it's too soon for questions, but I will add some more details soon for what exactly I want to do.

On 25/07/2017 at 0:44 PM, waxxy said:

Or would it still take over a year?

Assuming I'm understanding your description of the game properly, your project would likely take an experienced developer at least a year.  Tweaking and fine tuning procedural generation to get a satisfying randomised world can take a lot of fiddly work, and you'll also have a reasonable amount of content creation to do, along with all of the basics that make a game.

That being said, I don't think it's an unreasonable project to work towards at all, and it's certainly something a solo developer could tackle with a bit more experience.

Like Eck, I would recommend working up to it with smaller projects so that you can develop your skills before tackling your dream project.  Breaking it down into smaller components is actually a great idea, and there are some parts of your idea that should be reasonably easy to achieve with a bit of work.

I see that you've started on some artwork (take a look at The Total Beginner's Guide to Better 2d Game Art for some tips you can apply to any 2d project!), but do you have an engine or framework in mind for creating the game itself?

Moving this topic to For Beginners for now, as you don't seem to have any specific design questions right now and are more looking for general 'getting started' advice.

- Jason Astle-Adams

In terms of getting a random world that works, this can be done by programming an algorithm that matches objects, and graphic tiles together based on a set of rules to generate random maps. You would have to have rule sets in place that allow certain tiles to generate around each other with objects based on valid conditions based on their layers. For example, if you have a land tile, water tile, and bridge tile, you wouldn't want something like water, bridge, water, land, bridge, water, water, bridge (from left to right) on layer 1 if your object tiles on layer 2 are house, sewer tunnel, ladder, dock, ect... and they're unable to support those tiles, and your player cannot travel properly through those settings. I'm afraid this is far beyond beginner game development.

You can also do this with batches instead of single tiles for the maps to make it easier. You pretty much make small chunks of the map that can fit together like a puzzle that generally work together in any order. Layer 1 would be your graphical tiles, and Layer 2 would have interactive stuff, objects, ect... You can also make different variations of Layer 2 which can go on top of your Layer 1.

Layer 1

Batch one - Land, Land, Land, Land, Hill, Land 

Batch two - Land - Small Bridge with Water Under - Land - Hill - Land

Layer 2

Batch one variation 1 - Road, Road (Trees), House, Empty, Hill Cave (Trolls), Empty

Batch one variation 2 - Road Block (Bandits), Tent, Burned Down Convoy, Road with Sign, Hill Path, Road

Batch two - .....

ect...

Then you can just set each batch to a number in an array, and randomize certain batches that match the environment change to render your random map.

Layer 1 [ 1, 5, 6, 2, 1 ]   Layer 2 [ 1, 5, 6, 2, 1 ]

I cannot comment on what would be a good combat system because this answer should really come from you. Think about some games you've played, which system did you like? You can always port that combat system into your game.

I strongly suggest you get a few basic games under your belt before making the dream game, the last thing you want is to hit a brick wall and completely become discouraged and quit. If you're not really into the programming aspect, you can still make games using drag and drop with Game Maker as well.

https://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker

Programmer and 3D Artist

30 minutes ago, Rutin said:

In terms of getting a random world that works, this can be done by programming an algorithm that matches objects, and graphic tiles together based on a set of rules to generate random maps.

That remember me of Dungeon Architect, so I link this video which explains how it works-->

Ah so much to respond to lol I do thank you guys though! I'll read it all through. I don't consider myself a dev, but I made a game several years ago called escape from ji-ji dungeon on Gamjolt, props if you beat it :P  has a boss but no real ending and bad art. Maybe I shoulda kept on a dev track, oh well.

I got a lot to figure out before I can get anymore specific, so maybe I come back or make a new thread, depends how long it takes. Hopefully it gets far enough to warrant a return!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement