• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By elect
      ok, so, we are having problems with our current mirror reflection implementation.
      At the moment we are doing it very simple, so for the i-th frame, we calculate the reflection vectors given the viewPoint and some predefined points on the mirror surface (position and normal).
      Then, using the least squared algorithm, we find the point that has the minimum distance from all these reflections vectors. This is going to be our virtual viewPoint (with the right orientation).
      After that, we render offscreen to a texture by setting the OpenGL camera on the virtual viewPoint.
      And finally we use the rendered texture on the mirror surface.
      So far this has always been fine, but now we are having some more strong constraints on accuracy.
      What are our best options given that:
      - we have a dynamic scene, the mirror and parts of the scene can change continuously from frame to frame
      - we have about 3k points (with normals) per mirror, calculated offline using some cad program (such as Catia)
      - all the mirror are always perfectly spherical (with different radius vertically and horizontally) and they are always convex
      - a scene can have up to 10 mirror
      - it should be fast enough also for vr (Htc Vive) on fastest gpus (only desktops)

Looking around, some papers talk about calculating some caustic surface derivation offline, but I don't know if this suits my case
      Also, another paper, used some acceleration structures to detect the intersection between the reflection vectors and the scene, and then adjust the corresponding texture coordinate. This looks the most accurate but also very heavy from a computational point of view.

Other than that, I couldn't find anything updated/exhaustive around, can you help me?
      Thanks in advance
    • By ANIO chan
      Hi, I'm new here and would like to get some help in what i should do first when designing a game? What would you consider to be the best steps to begin designing my game? Give resources with it as well please.
    • By DarkJ1234
      I'm trying to get into game development on linux, But i want an Unity/Unreal like environment to start out with, So i found out Unreal is build-able on linux, and i had a few problems but managed to mess with it enough to get it running, but all the material's are pink for some reason, i'd like advice on how and if i can fix the materials being all pink and super reflective looking, or if there's an alternative i could try similar to Unity/Unreal for linux.
    • By Anderfell
      Hello my name is Brandon and I am currently one of the co owners of the team Digital Forged Studios.
      We are currently seeking two new members for our team, before applying you must be aware that we are seeking people that are 100% committed to this project, you must be reachable within the day, replying to questions or responding to our messages and in general be actively online, otherwise I ask nicely that you do not apply.
      The persons we are seeking are an experienced Programmer with knowledge  in c++, c#, and or unreal script, the c++ and familiarity with unreal is the main thing were seeking, other teams we are currently looking for are 3D artists to work on Humanoid models Props and more, were are also seeking other team members such as Generalists that understands the Unreal Engine, Animators for Human, Non Human and Objects were keeping the team small and having whats needed so feel free to apply.
      [Animators] x 2 [ You will be doing Human, Non Human, and Objects like Machines and Doors, Environment assets. ]
      [3D Artist] x 2 [ You will be focusing on Humans, Objects, and Environment modeling would also like skills in texturing. ]
      [Generalist] x 1 [ We would like someone that has good knowledge of Unreal Engine that can set up anything we need in Engine. ]
      [Writer] x 1 [ We would need someone that can work with me on game documents, organisation of documents story arcs, character development, dialogue creation, text editing and other text related jobs. ]
      [PROGRAMMER] "As above"
      The project is Royalties and when any fund raising is made you will also receive some funding based off that, this is divided depending on amount of work done as an example per asset made toward the game, there are no contracts at this stage and everything known is in documents at the moment.
      The game is a Action RPG with online elements this will be an ongoing project, we are running ssh servers, and Prefroce. We have a small staff of experienced people.
      We do have some artwork to show of the world a little and what it's about, If you are interested in joining the project please contact us at:
      Anderfell info:
      Anderfell#5123 on Discord
      nevarra@hotmail.com email
      We are active on Discord and maybe take a day or two to reply to emails on our website as we receive a few a daily we need to sort through thanks. 
      Comic Panel
      Game Document
      Regards Brandon
      Digital Forged Game Development Team.
      Some Progress

• By Eimantas Gabrielius
      Hi there,

Thinking about improving strategy/survival web/app based game with some action in it. Because leveling up the infrastructure, gathering resources, etc, is getting bored. To be more specific it's a survival game, based on astronomy, trying to save planet, etc.
      So the "fighting" model doesn't fit here, because there are no dragons on the planets :))) Either its a co-op based, so PvP also doesn't fit.
      Thinking about some puzzles solving at some point of game or turn-based/event-based dissasters handling... Stuck there
      What do you think ?
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Visual tracking using webcam in unreal engine 4

Hello everybody ,i am making a game using unreal 4 i need to track the player using a camera to control the virtual objects in the game by his/her movement .. i was deciding to use kinect v1 as it is available in my college ,but i read it is not compatible with unreal ,any suggestions if using a webcam will go right ,or any other device for tracking but not cost alot?
Thanks alot.

1 hour ago, mahamohy said:

i was deciding to use kinect v1 as it is available in my college ,but i read it is not compatible with unreal

No matter what you use you will have to do the tracking manually. The kenetic camera's are programmed to follow humans not objects, so you will have to do that part yourself. You are free to use any camera.

I used the Leap Motion camera a while back to try and create 3D objects from the feedback in Unreal 4, only managed to make it track to position of my pen.

Edited by Scouting Ninja

3 hours ago, mahamohy said:

using a camera to control the virtual objects in the game by his/her movement

As Scouting Ninja wrote, this is something you'll be coding up yourself. You'll need to connect to the device and do the programming.

As for control, the difficulty comes from the gestures or motions you want to support in your timeframe.

You mention a webcam. Back in the late 1990s I had a school assignment to detect simple gestures with a webcam, find which direction a hand is pointing (up/down/left/right). That is enough for a few weeks of effort by a college student. 

You also mention Kinect. The Kinect SDK does quite a lot for you. The SDK is freely available and anyone with an XBox can pull theirs off and plug it in to the PC.   It creates a tree of joints that it detects --- which is occasionally incomplete or inaccurate --- and you can recognize simple gestures with it.  If you attempt more complex gestures you'll need to do more work, so start with simple things like arms raised or an arm pointing in a direction.  Again, for a college student a single up/down/left/right is probably a few weeks of effort.