mahamohy

Visual tracking using webcam in unreal engine 4

mahamohy    0

Hello everybody ,i am making a game using unreal 4 i need to track the player using a camera to control the virtual objects in the game by his/her movement .. i was deciding to use kinect v1 as it is available in my college ,but i read it is not compatible with unreal ,any suggestions if using a webcam will go right ,or any other device for tracking but not cost alot?
Thanks alot.

Scouting Ninja    3951
1 hour ago, mahamohy said:

i was deciding to use kinect v1 as it is available in my college ,but i read it is not compatible with unreal

No matter what you use you will have to do the tracking manually. The kenetic camera's are programmed to follow humans not objects, so you will have to do that part yourself. You are free to use any camera.

I used the Leap Motion camera a while back to try and create 3D objects from the feedback in Unreal 4, only managed to make it track to position of my pen.

Edited by Scouting Ninja

frob    44903
3 hours ago, mahamohy said:

using a camera to control the virtual objects in the game by his/her movement

As Scouting Ninja wrote, this is something you'll be coding up yourself. You'll need to connect to the device and do the programming.

As for control, the difficulty comes from the gestures or motions you want to support in your timeframe.

You mention a webcam. Back in the late 1990s I had a school assignment to detect simple gestures with a webcam, find which direction a hand is pointing (up/down/left/right). That is enough for a few weeks of effort by a college student. 

You also mention Kinect. The Kinect SDK does quite a lot for you. The SDK is freely available and anyone with an XBox can pull theirs off and plug it in to the PC.   It creates a tree of joints that it detects --- which is occasionally incomplete or inaccurate --- and you can recognize simple gestures with it.  If you attempt more complex gestures you'll need to do more work, so start with simple things like arms raised or an arm pointing in a direction.  Again, for a college student a single up/down/left/right is probably a few weeks of effort.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By pele90
      Hi all,
      i'm just starting to use and learn UE4 for game development. I have a lot of question of course but at the moment i'm stuck with some essential one.
      Just to mention that i come from Unity background so if i think in Unity way, please correct me .

Any way, my problem is with getting input from keyboard and moving another actor (not the possessed pawn which is my main player). I have a simple cube as main player that is possessed and can get input from keyboard and act upon it. I have simple sphere as the ball in the game that can bounce around and collide with the player and the walls. I implemented when the ball hits the player, the ball will stop simulating physics and the her world position will be the same as the cube position, i.e. the cube will "carry" the ball around. Now i want to stop "carrying" the ball when i press the spacebar on my keyboard. My cube (player) class is ACollidingPawn class (.h and .cpp) and my ball class is ABall (.h and .cpp). In ACollidingPawn class i can react to player inputs and do whatever i want on the cube actor (in ACollidingPawn class). But i want to do something with the ball actor when i press the spacebar on my keyboard, i.e. need a way to do some logic in ABall class...

In essence, i want to "do something on the ball object" after the keyboard was pressed without possessing the ball object. ( as i understood, you can only process input on possessed actor)

I hope you understand my problem

Thanks in advance!
    • By greentiger
      Right now I'm designing a fantasy tactical turn based game. Originally the game was inspired by Vandal Hearts ( for reference see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc6yp7DH3ts&list=PL5V4iNEm527MCEyGwSkmhJ12aAkFNHKtz ).
      As it was inspired by Vandal Hearts I currently have the class and unit progression using points (damage, for example is the [ unit's Phys.Att. + weapon Phys.Att ] - [ defender's Phys.Def + defender's armor Phys.Def ] = base damage (minimum damage is 0) + 1-6; it has a rock-paper-scissors type class superiority ring.
      The challenge I'm facing is this is extremely difficult for me to balance.
      I've been considering the possibility of changing the character progression system to something along the lines where level/rank unlocks class tree abilities (sort of like a mix of WoW skill trees and X-COM) -- and then having weapons do base damage with variable damage like from Terror from the Deep (damage * (0.5 .. 1.5)); I would like to keep the rock-paper-scissors balance where skills chosen determine the unit's class and access to weapons. -- you know writing it down makes it sound more similar to the modern XCOM system.
      I've already redone spells so that they are more like the modern XCOM's abilities with cooldowns and limited uses per combat session.
      Any suggestions and/or tips would greatly be appreciated! Is the Vandal Hearts point type system a sacred cow or is a more XCOM-ish system workable and fun for a fantasy tactics game? Please reply in-thread as I have it set to receive notifications.
      Thanks!

• By gdarchive
      A collection of design documentation from the development of The Sims from Electronic Arts and Maxis, dating back to 1997.
      3DPeopleQuestion.pdf AnimationClassBreakdown.pdf AnimationDocumentation.pdf ArtDepartmentPostMortum.pdf BrainstormProblemListForArtTeam.pdf Ch00-TableOfContents.pdf Ch01-Goals.pdf Ch02-World.pdf Ch03-Objects.pdf Ch04-People.pdf Ch05-PetsAndPests.pdf Ch06-Simulator.pdf Ch08-Framework.pdf Ch09-Architecture.pdf Ch10-Graphics.pdf Ch11-Movement.pdf Ch12-CharacterAnim.pdf Ch13-Sound.pdf Ch14-Resources.pdf Ch16-Tools.pdf Ch17-TDSB.pdf Ch18-ContentDevelopment.pdf Ch19-SoftwareDevelopment.pdf Ch20-Documentation.pdf Ch21-Happy.pdf Ch22-ContainedInteractions.pdf CharacterRenderingDevelopmentPlan.pdf ComprehensiveArtAssessment.pdf ContentCreationRules.pdf CuckooClock.pdf EdithDocumentationOverview.pdf EdithPrimitives.pdf FailureTrees.pdf FigureNG.pdf FloatCompression.pdf GuineaPigCage.pdf HappyFriendsHome-2-10-96.pdf HitSoundRevivew.pdf HitSystemDesign.pdf HowToPursueHappiness.pdf JeffersonCharacterMotives.pdf JeffersonDemoTutorial.pdf JeffersonTools.pdf MasterIDAndSubIndexOverview.pdf MaxisSimRules.pdf MooseHead.pdf NotesFromMaxisNewPencilPostmortem.pdf ObjectFileFormat.pdf ObjectIFFFileFormat.pdf ObjectList.pdf ObjectMakingProcedure.pdf ProgrammingObjectsInTheSimsV3.pdf ProgrammingSimsDialogs.pdf ProposalForExtendingTheSimsFranchise.pdf QuickReferenceGuideForTheBewSimsSpriteExporter.pdf ResourceEXE.pdf ResourceFileOverview.pdf SimsBoxXSpecAndDesign.pdf SimsContentLibraryNotes.pdf SimsFileFormat.pdf SimsScripts.pdf SimTransmogrifierDesign.pdf SimTransmogrifierTODO.pdf SlotMachine.pdf SpriteGeneration.pdf Storytelling.pdf Strategy.pdf SuitConventions.pdf TDRObjects.pdf TDSB.pdf TDSBInfo.pdf TechnicalEmail.pdf TheSimsDesignDocumentDraft3-DonsReview.pdf TheSimsDesignDocumentDraft5-8-31-98-DonsReview.pdf TheSimsDesignDocumentDraft5-DonsReview.pdf TheSimsDesignDocumentDraft7-DonsReview.pdf TheSimsPieMenus.pdf TheSimsProjectCompletion-18-12-98.pdf TheSimsQuickStartGuide.pdf TheSoulOfTheSims.pdf TheStateOfTheArtAndGoingForwardToE3.pdf Tools%20Proposal%20Updated.pdf TransmogriferRenovationPlan.pdf VirtualMachine.pdf VitaboyOverview.pdf VM.pdf VMDesign.pdf WallLights.pdf XAnimatorDesign.pdf  
      JeffersonDevelopmentMilestones.pdf
      JeffersonGameDescription.pdf
      JeffersonSpectrumOfChallenge.pdf
      SpriteRotations.pdf
      TDSEditToDo.pdf
    • By QuintonAudio
      Please visit www.QuintonAudio.com to see my reel. I'm really looking forward to working with developers on projects and creating dynamic audio which adds a whole level of professionalism to indie games.  
    • By Robert Miroshnichenko
      Hi there guys! 

Recently I found an interview with cool 3d modeler where I was very attracted by the Fur on dress that I was looking for my snow knight (like in the Game of Thrones)

Somebody maybe knows how to make a fur for a dress?
      Searched on the forums, youtube, but the fur is obtained both from the clay
  • Popular Now