Education advise for total beginner

Started by
23 comments, last by Gamerep 6 years, 7 months ago

Hello. I'm seeing this sort of questions are asked frequently here but here we go. 

I'm interested in a career of game development but I'm not sure what way would be wise to choose. Eventually I want to work in a studio designing games.

I haven't attended any university education. 30 year old and living in italy. 

I see there are some bachelor programs for game design. Also there are bachelor degrees for computer sciences. And there's web education. Considering these programs are in public universities, these are what i can afford.

A degree would take at least take 3 years to complete, not my first choice.

I understand that it's best to learn a language. Does this mean learning any language (easiest one) and then working from there is an idea?

I do not have almost any coding skills. I have done some 3d modeling in the past but still. What would be your advice for beginning?

Advertisement

You don't need to know a programming language to be a game designer, although for some roles it can be a plus. 

Have you tried downloading tools like Unity or Unreal and using them to build out a game idea you have?

Yeah, unity. But i gave up on it after frustration. I would give it another try but i am reading that even though it is possible to make a game on it without coding, you are way better off with having it coded instead in order to fix bugs and everything

What do you mean with game designer btw? Do you mean it is enough to have knowledge of one subject such as modelling would be enough for this

No. If you want to be a game designer you need to have knowledge of game design. This is a knowledge domain that is distinct from the ability to create art or to write code. Having some understanding of how to write code or produce art is helpful, but it's not necessary.

Game design is about the flow and mechanics of the game, the things that make the game fun and interesting by using the art or the code that has been written to support the designer. There are various sub-disciplines within the design field, including level design or mechanical systems design. 

What aspects of "being a game designer" are you interested in, specifically? Why is it you think you want to "work in a studio designing games" and what do you think that involves?

This might be of relevance, describing some of the various roles involved in game development:

http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson7.htm

There's a lot of other good stuff on there as well.

Hello to all my stalkers.

Well, playing games is so far my biggest passion in my 30 year old life. I am lucky enough to somewhat travelling the world since one year and all i can think of is playing games whenever i can. But again, i am 30. Which makes me realise that i have to be working again soon enough. So i cannot think of something better than spendingmy time and effort for creating them. I do not think it is much more fun than any other job, but at least the result of your work might actually be interesting to you sometimes

Just keep in mind that even though you enjoy playing games does not necessarily mean you will enjoy developing games.

Much like you might enjoy Netflix or eating cake, making movies or baking cakes might not be the perfect job for you.

Just something to keep in mind :)

Hello to all my stalkers.

6 minutes ago, Lactose said:

Just keep in mind that even though you enjoy playing games does not necessarily mean you will enjoy developing games.

What Lactose is saying here is critical for you to understand. That's why I asked if you've tried using Unity or Unreal to build a game: thta's what making games is for a designer. They will get some tools, many of which look like Unity/Unreal or various parts of Unity/Unreal, and they'll be using those to hammer out the ideas they have in their head into reality.

If you don't enjoy doing that, you probably don't actually enjoy designing games. That's why I asked what it is you actually enjoy (or think you enjoy) about making games. 

So how do you understand that one can enjoy or not?

Trying unity and not pushing it any further means you are not the person for it, would you say?

Playing doesn't mean you'd enjoy making them. But you need to enjoy playing in order to enjoy making, don't you agree? Or are they completely irrelevant 

I disagree. They are totally different.

If you tried Unity and didn't like it, it could be that you didn't like some specific aspect of Unity. That's why you should try other tools as well, like Unreal.

If you try a bunch of tools and don't like them, that might mean you simply don't like what making a game entails. Or at least not that aspect of making a game.

No amount of liking to play games will change what actually making games is like. Nor will any amount of liking the idea of being a game developer.

That's why you should focus on trying various ways to make a game before (for example) considering going back to school for years for it. You need to know whether you actually want to do what the job actually involves, and ideally what specifically -- art, design, programming, audio, et cetera.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement