How to abuse Mod's power

Started by
3 comments, last by Promit 6 years, 7 months ago

Hay everyone,

Allow me to share something that will show you the true image of the GDN's mods, specifically Josh. The discussion was about recruiting firms, that they use something like a gate keeper to filter out the resumes. Mr Josh here, went on full moderator mode and started insulting me and kicking me out in front of the rest of the members, when I tried to prove him wrong because he thinks that none or some of the recruiting firms use it. Of course he have people backing him on it because well, he is the mod and he can kick / ban anyone he pleases, in the chat. As he kicks me every time he gives out a reason that I am insulting him where as he has been repeatedly insulting me. This case isn't the first one with Mr Josh on the GDN chat. He is known for abusing the mod's power because he likes to kick and ban members as he pleases and makes up a fake reason for it that matches the code of conduct.

So to prove my previous point since I was unable to do it in the chat.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/careers/career-advice/how-to-get-your-resume-past-the-electronic-gatekeepers/article18811375/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

Here is one of many news articles that should have supported my argument which was "MOST RECRUITING FIRMS IN THE WORLD, DO IT," but unfortunately Mr Josh didn't like it. Not only that, he insulted me in front of everyone and then kicked me out of the channel.

Look, I am happy that you are mods and admins and appreciate you all doing an amazing job, but I am not a kid who doesn't know the abuse of power when he sees one.

Personally I believe that Mr Josh owes me an apology in public.

I am certain that Admins and Mods will delete this thread as well, because as I stated before, Mr Josh have many people backing him up.

I wish I could have my say after being treated like that.

With all due regards

Nitewalkr

Advertisement

The position you took in the chat was that ALL companies do this, a position that I asserted was "bullshit"(*) based on the simple fact that I have worked at companies that did not, and worked with recruiting firms that did not (specifically, use software to filter resumes). At no point in this conversation did you clarify that your position was that MOST companies do, which is a statement I would have significantly less issue with.

But the reason you were kicked was not simply making and then insisting on doubling-down on incorrect information (to a new member of the chat who was looking for help). It was because you were rude about it, and refused to table the issue when I asked. Twice. As a result, you were given a slap on a wrist - a kick.

Subsequent to that kick, you rejoined and having apparently failed to learn your lesson about tabling an issue when asked, tried to re-engage with the debate. You were then banned.

Your ban will last for at least the next hour, at which point I will unban you provided you continue to engage in good behavior (edit: done).

If you think this was an abuse of power, or if you think I or any of my fellow moderators have EVER committed such an act (as you heavily insinuate above), you are welcome to report them through the proper channels: a private conversation with the moderator in question, or with any of the senior moderators (Washu, Promit, et cetera), or the staff (jbadams, khawk).

(*) Since it's been suggested to me that this is unclear: I literally said this during the conversation, that's why it is quoted here. I fully admit this was not an appropriate response, but I'm not making that assertion now, I made it then, and I quoted it here to attempt to provide as much transparency into my actions as I can. The swearing was absolutely not justified, but I stand by the rest of my actions. 

2 hours ago, MetalHead24 said:

I am certain that Admins and Mods will delete this thread as well

We don't do this - we might close a topic of it isn't productive (usually only in more extreme cases or after allowing a chance for reasonable conversation), but we don't censor or hide complaints about moderation.

If you're unsatisfied with Josh's response we're happy to discuss the matter further, either here or privately.

Lastly, if you're going to make an allegation of systemic abuse of power, please provide examples, or at least a timeframe so we can examine logs.

- Jason Astle-Adams

The moderators aren't there to protect your ego, but exercising some control over content is part of the job. If you have a problem with instructions you're being given, bring it up with senior mods or staff, as previously mentioned. Pitching a fit, especially in channel, is not the correct response.

I'm closing this thread as unproductive. You know where to find me if you wish to continue this discussion.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement