deltaKshatriya

Geometry vs Texturing in Game Art

deltaKshatriya    2210

Hey all,

So although I've posted some stuff here for critique, by and large, I'm not really a CG artist who does stuff for games. To be fair, even CG art is primarily a side hobby for me. But anyhow, back on topic. One of the things I've noticed is that for general CG art, we generally prefer to use as much geometry as possible for building a scene, since we don't really care much about render time. For example, sometimes bricks will be modeled in to fully utilize the lighting calculations and what not. Now obviously, with game dev, that just isn't true, and I do have experience with this. What I've noticed, however, is that game art in many games (Dark Souls, etc.) really does seem to look like it's using a ton of geometry, especially with architecture. Now I can tell where textures are used, but I'm curious, what's the balance for geometry vs texture? When is a texture preferred to modeling geometry? 

I thought this would be interesting discussion. 

Hodgman    51336
1 minute ago, deltaKshatriya said:

For example, sometimes bricks will be modeled in to fully utilize the lighting calculations and what not. Now obviously, with game dev, that just isn't true, and I do have experience with this. What I've noticed, however, is that game art in many games (Dark Souls, etc.) really does seem to look like it's using a ton of geometry, especially with architecture. Now I can tell where textures are used, but I'm curious, what's the balance for geometry vs texture? When is a texture preferred to modeling geometry? 

Often you do model everything in excessive detail, down to cracks in bricks, first. Then, second you make a lower detailed mesh with the same general shape (a flat wall that covers all the bricks). Third, you "bake" all the geometric details from mesh #1 onto normal/depth/ao textures for use on mesh #2.

If done right, mesh #2 now has all the same details as mesh #1, but hardly any polygons. You can only really tell the difference when looking at it extremely closely, or when looking at the silhouette.

As when when to use each... it can be easy to get carried away with using low-poly meshes with large textures, but textures take up a LOT of memory. A compressed 1024x1024 normal map is about 1.3MB -- in that same amount of memory you could store over 40K vertices! So it can actually be better to use extra polygons and lower resolution textures, where possible.

The main thing that you never want to do is end up with so many triangles that they start to become smaller than one pixel. GPU's like to run pixel shaders on a block of 2x2 pixels at a time, so if a triangle only covers 1 pixel, the GPU will likely run the PS on 4 pixels, throw away three results, and keep one result! This means that meshes that have an extremely high polygon count can actually increase pixel shading costs by 300% :o Moreover, the fixed-function rasterizer probably works on 4x4 or 8x8 blocks of pixels, and only works at full efficiency if your triangles are bigger than that...

So -- use as many triangles as necessary, but then employ LOD (switching out models for lower detail versions when in the distance) to make sure that your on-screen triangles never get too small.

JoeJ    2587

Maybe as an artist you should not distinguish between geometry and texture too much at all. There may be a preprocessing toolchain that takes your art and converts it to efficient game assets. It may resample textures, merge materials, decide what details remain geometry or become normal maps, generate LODs. It may even remesh your geometry and turn details to displacement maps, geometry images, voxels or whatever turns out to be most efficient.

So thinking ahead it's probably most important you always create art with very high detail so it still looks as intended even if everything gets resampled and downscaled. E.g. a tool may rotate UVs and straight lines of texels could become jaggy, or a tool may remove long and thin features of geometry, etc. Being aware of such issues may become important, while caring about low poly count may become obsolete for the artist.