DirectX Texture Tool

Started by
10 comments, last by matt77hias 6 years, 6 months ago

I use the DirectX Texture Tool obsolete program utility provided in the DirectX 9.0 SDK, though I use Direct3D 11.

The program has a GUI and provides utilities such as changing the surface format, adding MIP levels. The number of surface formats is actually limited and does not include sRGBs. Any alternative?

Clipboard01.thumb.png.8262a1bc2974196a32d78e923a122110.png

🧙

Advertisement

Just tried PowerVR's PVRTexTool but that application could not load all textures I made with DirectX Texture Tool. Only some cube maps which have DXT1 format.

🧙

I would recommend AMD Compressonator.

@cgrant Thanks I will give it a try :)

🧙

The AMD Compressonator is quite buggy. The Microsoft DirectXTex is superior in many ways https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectXTex

I can't comment on quality difference, it is possible that each perform slightly better or worse on some scenario, but i have zero data to offer on that :) 

But as far as i am concern, i lean toward Microsoft heavily for that purpose on my personal projects. It will support all the BCn, understand more source types, understand sRGB of course, can produce mips with various filters, open source so modifiable ( i have a MIN/MAX filter to generate height map pyramids for example ). It has some utilities to assemble dds together ( cubemap, custom mips ) although i have my own system for that, etc. 

1 hour ago, cgrant said:

I would recommend AMD Compressonator.

It works for DXT1 but fails for all my X8R8G8B8 and A8R8G8B8 formats. Similar for PowerVR's PVRTexTool.

9 minutes ago, galop1n said:

But as far as i am concern, i lean toward Microsoft heavily for that purpose on my personal projects. It will support all the BCn, understand more source types, understand sRGB of course, can produce mips with various filters, open source so modifiable ( i have a MIN/MAX filter to generate height map pyramids for example ). It has some utilities to assemble dds together ( cubemap, custom mips ) although i have my own system for that, etc. 

But it has no GUI :(, come on we're dealing with images.  (I posted an issue there as well, since Microsoft itself should propose an alternative for their obsolete tools :P )

🧙

What the point of a GUI here ? When you deal with image assets, you likely to deal with dozen, hundreds or even thousands images. You won't load them manually each in a GUI. You either batch command line, at the low end of the spectrum or have a mass converter tool at the high end of the spectrum.

Just now, galop1n said:

What the point of a GUI here ? When you deal with image assets, you likely to deal with dozen, hundreds or even thousands images. You won't load them manually each in a GUI. You either batch command line, at the low end of the spectrum or have a mass converter tool at the high end of the spectrum.

You want both a viewer and a command line tool for batching. I would use it as my dds viewer as well.

🧙

Most (all?) of the features of the old DX Texture Tool are now built into Visual Studio (since 2012, IIRC). Just drag an image into VS and it will open in the image editor. RenderDoc also has a DDS/image viewer built-in that can use drag-and-drop, but I don't think that it has any editing capabilities.

14 hours ago, MJP said:

Mose (all?) of the features of the old DX Texture Tool are now built into Visual Studio (since 2012, IIRC). Just drag an image into VS and it will open in the image editor. RenderDoc also has a DDS/image viewer built-in that can use drag-and-drop, but I don't think that it has any editing capabilities.

Cool!

You can do some basic stuff. Not sure yet about mip-map, cube-map and alpha overlay possibilities.

Edit: mip-map generation supported.

Clipboard01.png

🧙

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement