Starting from (nearly) absolute zero

Started by
10 comments, last by Scouting Ninja 6 years, 5 months ago

After my first thread and some painful deleting AND some lengthy drive resizing, I now have Unity and Visual Studio Enterprise

As the hype of me finally being able to make a game that I've always dreamed of faded away because of school schedule being a douchebag, I came to a painful realization that I basically don't know anything about Unity (making progress at least, with the tutorial, the rest....well....I don't have a credit card yet, and my age is 2^4 + 1 (don't wanna be too....public)) nor C# (hopefully dotnetcademy.net's C# course for complete beginners can somehow help me with this).

At least I know what I am doing (I guess) with my game: 2D, Top down, Isometric, Pixel Art (because I'm on my own and I can't draw like an artist and I'm too broke), RPG with EXP, Class Advancement system and probably some sort of a seeding mechanism for randomized gameplay

So, as a complete greenhorn stepping into the field with a completely wrong set of equipments, I'd love some advices from the pros and the experienced (all advices are welcomed OwO)/ ), esp to these questions:

- Should I take on regular C# and then learn Unity C# or skip regular C# and straight to Unity C#?
- Is pixel art really a way out for me on the visual part? Sprites, maps, items, effects, etc......
- Is my idea okay? Is there anything I can add in or cross out?
- Should I do this alone? Or should I get some accomplices? I'm not planning to rush it anyway.

Spoiler

- Am I a bit too young to be doing this?

Thank you in advance. Sorry, no potato this time

Welp. Sh-t.

Advertisement

Nobody mentioned Visual Studio Enterprise on your original thread so I've no idea where that rant came from. Keep it polite, please.

Unity uses an older form of C# so you're probably best off just learning from Unity tutorials and looking concepts up on the MSDN site as you go along. (Unity does support newer C# as well, but it's 'experimental' and crashes all the time, so I can't recommend that.)

You don't need to buy tutorials, but you should be willing to invest the time to go through all their tutorials, videos, the manual, etc. After that, you can make a start on your game. I recommend starting out trying to get your world rendered, then drop a player into it that you can control, etc. Game rules etc come some way down the line.

Regarding art, pixel art isn't really a way 'out', it's just another choice of aesthetic. Good pixel art can be more demanding than 3D in some ways, e.g. creating animations, transition tiles, etc.

Your idea is okay, but ambitious for a first project. Expect it to take a long time. If you're impatient you may want to take on something simpler first.

Your first project should be done alone, yes. Maybe you can get some help with art later. But don't try to run a multi-person project with no experience; it'll just end in frustration.

And no, your age doesn't matter.

5 minutes ago, Kylotan said:

Nobody mentioned Visual Studio Enterprise on your original thread so I've no idea where that rant came from. Keep it polite, please.

Deleted the rant. Thank you for the notification

Unity uses an older form of C# so you're probably best off just learning from Unity tutorials and looking concepts up on the MSDN site as you go along. (Unity does support newer C# as well, but it's 'experimental' and crashes all the time, so I can't recommend that.)

Ouch. Well.... I have time. Never hurts to use the old systems then update it with time

You don't need to buy tutorials, but you should be willing to invest the time to go through all their tutorials, videos, the manual, etc. After that, you can make a start on your game. I recommend starting out trying to get your world rendered, then drop a player into it that you can control, etc. Game rules etc come some way down the line.

I can do that, hopefully. Let's pray that school doesn't interfere too much.... 

Welp. Sh-t.

[CONTINUING THE PREVIOUS REPLY OF ME]

9 minutes ago, Kylotan said:

Regarding art, pixel art isn't really a way 'out', it's just another choice of aesthetic. Good pixel art can be more demanding than 3D in some ways, e.g. creating animations, transition tiles, etc.

Well.... I'm thinking of keeping the art work simple, big (but not too big) pixels to lessen the burden for me (like Terraria). I'm still thinking about it. (Also where to learn how to draw pixel art?)

11 minutes ago, Kylotan said:

Your idea is okay, but ambitious for a first project. Expect it to take a long time. If you're impatient you may want to take on something simpler first.

Well, I am expecting it to be long, probably years or so (hope no one is gonna rip my idea off..... QwQ)

12 minutes ago, Kylotan said:

Your first project should be done alone, yes. Maybe you can get some help with art later. But don't try to run a multi-person project with no experience; it'll just end in frustration.

Whew..... 

14 minutes ago, Kylotan said:

And no, your age doesn't matter.

Thanks man, I need this one. I honestly was on the verge of crying when I share my dream of making a game last week in another forum in my country when someone hopped in and said "Do you have a high school graduation certificate yet (No, still in high school)? Get the fucking certificate first THEN you can start. What the f*** (loosely translated from my language) do you think you are? A genius? Get real bitch, you ain't gonna be able to do this, high school-er peasant". I almost hit uninstall because of that very reply.

Welp. Sh-t.

In terms of age, it really doesnt matter. I mean I was I think 18 when I made a very basic like isometric 2d adventure / rpg mini game.. was a project for college but I mean at the time I had never done anything like that, and I didnt have an education at all... we just had freedom to choose what we did, so I decided to make a mini game.  My old lecturer started making thing around age 13 or 14.. so I mean people at a range of ages start making things so you can learn and easily do things without having been formally educated in it.

1 minute ago, GibbonThatCodes said:

In terms of age, it really doesnt matter. I mean I was I think 18 when I made a very basic like isometric 2d adventure / rpg mini game.. was a project for college but I mean at the time I had never done anything like that, and I didnt have an education at all... we just had freedom to choose what we did, so I decided to make a mini game.  My old lecturer started making thing around age 13 or 14.. so I mean people at a range of ages start making things so you can learn and easily do things without having been formally educated in it.

Not here, in my place. People thinks that us high school-er and below should only be studying and not doing these kinds of "time consuming worthless sh-t", and only college and up should do this.

Buuuut let's keep the cultural difference to a low, healthy amount as to not steer the thread off-track owo)

Thanks for the encouragement tho GibbonThatCodes, I needed it OwO)/

Welp. Sh-t.

1 hour ago, ConsolaLarry said:
1 hour ago, Kylotan said:

Ouch. Well.... I have time. Never hurts to use the old systems then update it with time

Don't worry much about Unity's C#. It's what most people call "Unity script", it's so different from normal C# it's like it's own language. A lot of the C# code that is unstable in Unity can be replaced using a function Unity has for it or by mixing with Java.

Learning one language teaches you a lot about others and Java is so near C# in Unity that you will be able to copy and paste code between them.

I for example use Java for dictionaries because Unity's C# list aren't perfect.

1 hour ago, ConsolaLarry said:

Well, I am expecting it to be long, probably years or so (hope no one is gonna rip my idea off..... QwQ)

There is a million ways to do the same thing. Chances are no ones idea is going to be exactly your idea.

57 minutes ago, ConsolaLarry said:

People thinks that us high school-er and below should only be studying and not doing these kinds of "time consuming worthless sh-t", and only college and up should do this.

Making games is studding, it takes a huge amount of skill to do and you will be learning all those skills to do it. That brings me to the second part.

While you are still at school LEARN all you can! One of my greatest regrets as a developer is not paying attention in class, especially language; I now pay freelancers to prove read my game text. There is no subject that does not help you to make games, the more you know the better games you can make.

Later you will be to busy paying rent, to learn everything you want.

3 minutes ago, Scouting Ninja said:

Don't worry much about Unity's C#. It's what most people call "Unity script", it's so different from normal C# it's like it's own language.

No, UnityScript is what they called their cut-down version of Javascript. Unity's C# is standard C# - just an old version.

1 hour ago, Kylotan said:

called their cut-down version of Javascript.

Thanks for clearing it up. Been seeing this term a lot when dealing with new Unity developers.

2 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

I for example use Java for dictionaries because Unity's C# list aren't perfect.

I'll assume you mean JavaScript/UnityScript, but I might be missing something here... aren't these things (UnityScript Dictionary vs C# List) completely different in terms of usage and benefits?

Alternatively, in which way is the C# List lacking, which is solved by UnityScript Dictionary?

Hello to all my stalkers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement