which software would be the best for 2D pixel animation?

Started by
5 comments, last by kburkhart84 6 years, 3 months ago

hello, a friend and i are building a 2D platformer and i'd like to ask which software would be the best for 2D pixel animation

(Moderator edit: changed the subject to be the question that needs answering -- Kylotan)

Advertisement

Hi,

I am using Aseprite as it is simple and you can easily create animations with it. Additionally, the export functions are pretty handy.

Pyxel edit is pretty common as well.

My choice would be one of them.

Than

1 hour ago, LukasIrzl said:

Hi,

I am using Aseprite as it is simple and you can easily create animations with it. Additionally, the export functions are pretty handy.

Pyxel edit is pretty common as well.

My choice would be one of them.

Cheers mate I'll check it out!

I liked Pyxel Edit a lot. Learning curve wasn't difficult at all.

Have you tried https://graphicsgale.com/us/? This one is really easy to used.

Game Graphics | Pixel Art | Game Backgrounds | Tools | Tutorials

I would say that Cosmigo Pro Motion is the "photoshop" of the pixel art world.  It is likely the one with the most features, and is dedicated to pixel art, and even has features for automatically working with limits(like NES specs).  There are also features to help make tiles tileable, and you can make a mock level with your tiles while modifying the tiles so you can easily make them match up.  Just about any feature that pertains to pixel art will be found in Pro Motion(though I'm sure there could be something missing that is found in other software).  The catch is that it is paid for software, not free.

I will also say that other free software may have more than enough features for what you need, especially since pixel art has less requirements than something like a 3d modeller.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement