searching for a graphics engine or API for a first person maze game

Started by
3 comments, last by Rutin 6 years ago

So I have written some python 2.7 code to generate random mazes on the fly and export them to wavefront OBJ and it seems like a place to start for a simple first person game. Goal: get out of the maze before your time is up and the fog eats you or something. Looking for current game or graphics framework suggestions.

Focus is on simplicity, so just survival based play...i.e. no shooting and no fancy physics. A first person camera roving around. No normal mapping, real time shadows, or custom shaders required.

My problem is that I've been out of the circle of game development for so long I don't know whats current anymore.

I'm looking to code at high level...C#, Python, JavaScript. I know C/C++ but I like to keep that for work.

It need to be able to run on Windows and Linux. Don't care about Mac.

Free would be nice, if its a perfect choice for me I'll spring for up to $200 for a license.

Needs an art asset pipeline that makes sense. I need to be able to make models in Wings3d or some other free software. Don't want a free or low cost engine where the art pipeline is optimized for Maya or Autodesk 3ds max (saw it with T3D).

I'm searching for an API or framework somewhere in the middle between bare bones OpenGL or WebGL and cookie cutter brainless.

Things I've looked at:

Panda3d - Not as attractive because it requires a monolithic installer and has legacy graphics, but I may be able to live with it.
Unity - Never touched it before. Have no idea whether its overkill or not.
Torque3d Advanced - Seems buggy
ThreeJs - may be a good compromise on complexity vs simplicity

^I have an open mind. Those are just some impressions that can be changed. Thoughts?

Advertisement

I haven't used it myself, but you might consider the Godot Engine. It offers much of the same functionality as Unity, but provides a Python-like scripting language for your gameplay logic. No idea about the art pipeline. And whether it's 'overkill' or not depends on your perspective.

Unity would work great for you but since you know C/C++ you can also give Unreal a try.

If you already know C/C++ at an advanced level, then C# will be very easy to get into. I would look into C# and Unity on the basis that you don't want to use C/C++ and you're seeking a high level language.

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement