Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

VS2017 not compiling small changes

Started by Hawkblood Jun 6, 2018 at 10:32 PM 4 replies 2k views
Original Post
Hawkblood
Hawkblood

Just as the title implies, when I make a small change such as "x=4;" now to read "x=5;" the compiler doesn't build that part of the code and leaves me with the old value. It correctly compiles when I select "rebuild solution"....

How do I fix this?

ChaosEngine
ChaosEngine

Hmmm, that's odd. It's certainly not the case for my installation of VS2017.

What version are you using (this should work on every version, but it's good to know this info)?

Are the files you're changing in a project?

Can you create a minimal reproducible example or is it just happening in one particular solution?

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Hodgman
Hodgman

I get this in VS2015 Pro (Update 2) if the small constant is in a header file.

It's extremely annoying :(

Endurion
Endurion

Check the timestamp of the file (if it's odd, too old or in the future) and make sure it's included in the project.


You might try to crank up the build output to diagnostic. It'll show pretty every decision it makes, there might be some reason why in there.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>
hkBattousai
hkBattousai

Visual Studio does this intentionally in order to reduce compile time. I used to experience this issue in an older version of Visual Studio. I am also using version 2017 but I can't reproduce the same issue in my code. Sadly, I can't remember how I solved it then.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.