• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hawkblood

C++ VS2017 not compiling small changes

Just as the title implies, when I make a small change such as "x=4;" now to read "x=5;" the compiler doesn't build that part of the code and leaves me with the old value. It correctly compiles when I select "rebuild solution"....

How do I fix this?

Advertisement

Hmmm, that's odd. It's certainly not the case for my installation of VS2017.

What version are you using (this should work on every version, but it's good to know this info)?

Are the files you're changing in a project? 

Can you create a minimal reproducible example or is it just happening in one particular solution?

I get this in VS2015 Pro (Update 2) if the small constant is in a header file. 

It's extremely annoying :( 

Check the timestamp of the file (if it's odd, too old or in the future) and make sure it's included in the project.

You might try to crank up the build output to diagnostic. It'll show pretty every decision it makes, there might be some reason why in there.

Visual Studio does this intentionally in order to reduce compile time. I used to experience this issue in an older version of Visual Studio. I am also using version 2017 but I can't reproduce the same issue in my code. Sadly, I can't remember how I solved it then.