Suggestion for choosing challenges

Started by
16 comments, last by Vilem Otte 5 years, 7 months ago

There's quite a bit of complication in the grab bag idea for certain. I feel it would be a lot to ask from the web gurus here to implement. If this direction was desired, the community would have to self manage until site functionality could trickle in based on what worked. 

Or so I would imagine. 

back on topic, I for one am still curious for other challenge ideas even if they seem way out there or weird to broaden this discussion.

Advertisement

I was thinking there could be an approved challenge queue list and every challenge a random item is picked and removed from the queue. This would eliminate the problem with voting and either having a tie or everyone voting for their own idea, otherwise maybe only allow two ideas per vote, and increase that amount as more people jump on board.

Programmer and 3D Artist

1 hour ago, lawnjelly said:

We might need a special polling system to allow us each multiple votes otherwise we will end up with just a few games with 1 vote each, I hope the forum supports this lol. And maybe 2 rounds of voting.

The need to join the group is also an obstacle. It took me some time to figure out why i was unable to reply here.

(Also i did not notice a new baseball challange at all just by looking at the front page and 'unread content' which is what i usually do.)

18 minutes ago, Rutin said:

I was thinking there could be an approved challenge queue list and every challenge a random item is picked and removed from the queue. This would eliminate the problem with voting and either having a tie or everyone voting for their own idea, otherwise maybe only allow two ideas per vote, and increase that amount as more people jump on board.

I wonder whether having a random item from approved list might take some of the potential fun out of choosing challenges? I'm sure a voting system could be figured out. If there was a large choice at the start, say 20 choices, each voter could maybe have a vote worth 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1, and assign them to their favourites in order. Then the winning challenge would need at least 2 people to have given it a vote, or there could be a second stage as tiebreaker.

We could if necessary even do the voting manually, like the eurovision song contest! :)

5 minutes ago, lawnjelly said:

I wonder whether having a random item from approved list might take some of the potential fun out of choosing challenges? I'm sure a voting system could be figured out. If there was a large choice at the start, say 20 choices, each voter could maybe have a vote worth 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1, and assign them to their favourites in order. Then the winning challenge would need at least 2 people to have given it a vote, or there could be a second stage as tiebreaker.

We could if necessary even do the voting manually, like the eurovision song contest! :)

Whatever system goes in place is fine by me because at the end of the day I'm just wanting to make a small game within a short period of time, no matter the game choice. :) 

Programmer and 3D Artist

1 minute ago, lawnjelly said:

a random item from approved list

is a cheat or pre make deterrent as to not nullify the challenge duration contract. :D lol... I would argue that the list should be quite large and one new one pushed for every one poped. That could add new flavor to potentials and still keep it a mystery.

3 minutes ago, Rutin said:

no matter the game choice. :)

Epic Ninja Coder. 

On 9/23/2018 at 3:05 AM, JoeJ said:

The need to join the group is also an obstacle. It took me some time to figure out why i was unable to reply here.

I'd vote for challenges being show on front page/index, although I have no idea how hard it would be for administrators.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement