Usage of analog and acoustic instruments

Started by
2 comments, last by nsmadsen 5 years, 7 months ago

Hey! What's good?

I was wondering how many of you guys rely on analog synths and acoustic instruments for your productions. After listening to many many many videogame music producer reels, it seems to me that this is a very digital market, and that maybe the customer doesn't appreciate the difference between, for example, an analog synth and a VST. I'm not saying one approach is better that the other (I use tons of VSTs myself), I just felt curious about the gear you guys use.

See ya!

Musician • Producer • Teacher

www.alexcalero.com

hello@alexcalero.com

Advertisement

I'm a firm believer that adding just one acoustic instrument will make your song sound more "human". Even intentionally leaving in mistakes will connect the listener more than perfectly quantized MIDI notes.

Alec Weesner | Video-Game Composer

www.alecweesner.com

It all depends on what I'm doing and what the client/game needs. Sometimes I'll 100% acoustic (real) instruments, sometimes I'm only VST/AU instruments and sometimes it's a hybrid. 

I also agree with you Alec but it does depend on type of music. For example, EDM or chiptune often sounds best when it's played 100% perfectly given the context and history of those genres. But for anything that is based in human performance, having those mistakes can definitely help it sound more real. 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement