[ASK Suggestions] Virtual Reality vs Game Development job

Started by
1 comment, last by pcmaster 5 years, 5 months ago

Hello,
I live in Italy, since three years ago I have been a virtual reality developer and I developed games only at game jams and some little unpublished projects. I'm writing to ask for a suggestion: I recently had two professional opportunities: a mid-size game development company in the middle of England (not London) who makes mainly casual games for smartphone and a mid-size virtual reality company (no games) in Italy. The former requires Unity, whereas the latter will require mainly Unreal and sometimes Unity skills. 

I recently had two because I haven't understood how the game industry works and I feel a bit confused by my recruiter's approach. I can't understand if he is minding his own business or he really wants to help me.

Actually I'm a Unity developer and I don't know Unreal very well, but worked a lot on C++ professionally and I'm determined to learn it. I would like to stay for a period abroad (I never went to Erasmus) to train my English and for personal growth. My goal is to become a freelancer after some years in a company, eventually work from remote and move freely.

My fear is that I am over-idealizing my future a little, so I am looking for guidance from people that were in my situation or that have something to say regarding this decision and any future ones.

Any opinion is appreciated.

Thank you

Advertisement

Ciao! I don't think you're over-idealising your future at all!

If you have work experience with Unity and C# and actual professional C++ experience, you're a very good candidate for many game companies. Don't be afraid to put up your 'CV' on LinkedIn, for example, to get even more offers.

If you want to hop on the wagon, just do it! You won't even need headhunter/recruiters, you can try emailing studios DIRECTLY with your CV.

On the interviews, be sure to learn about their working environment and your future colleagues, your responsibilities (of course!) and about the living condition in the city you'd be moving to. Take an extra day or two of the trip for any interview to get the feel of the city.

Also, you don't really need to mention too distant future :)

What were you afraid off with the recruiter? Have you done some actual interviews yet?

Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement