Frogger GameDev Challenge Entry

Started by
9 comments, last by JWColeman 5 years, 5 months ago

Hello everyone! :) 

This is my submission for the Frogger challenge.

The final build for the project can be found here!

I hope I have fulfilled all requirements for this challenge. Sadly, I do not have time to create a gameplay video. I am not sure if this is a must. I have added a couple of screenshots from my blog series.
My post-mortem post will be done next week. 

As I already mentioned on the project page, I also could offer a Linux build if somebody needs one!

I hope you like it and I am excited to see your high scores! :D

Please tell me if there is anything missing!

Keep thinking!

Advertisement

I gave it a few plays and wow it was hard!!! ? I didn't realize the farmers would be so mean... Those suckers chase you down. Then the motor bikes caught me off guard. I really like the shield too, saved my hide on several occasions.

I gotta go out for a bit but when I come back I'll be playing more to see how high I can go. :) I'll post back if my score is worth showing haha!

Nice work!

Programmer and 3D Artist

5 minutes ago, Rutin said:

I gave it a few plays and wow it was hard!!! ? I didn't realize the farmers would be so mean... Those suckers chase you down. Then the motor bikes caught be off guard. I really like the shield too, saved my hide on several occasions.

I gotta go out for a bit but when I come back I'll be playing more to see how high I can go. :) I'll post back if my score is worth showing haha!

Nice work!

I actually did not realize that the game is challenging until my playtester told me. Guess as the developer you just get used to it very fast. :D But I didn't want to change that as I am a fan of hard games. :D If you take your time with it the game becomes a lot easier. :) 

Keep thinking!

Downloaded and play with it a couple of try.. it's cool... but too hard for the first level... I go as far to see the boatman with a spear ^_^y

7 hours ago, DexterZ101 said:

Downloaded and play with it a couple of try.. it's cool... but too hard for the first level... I go as far to see the boatman with a spear ^_^y

As I said. It is kinda supposed to be hard. But if more people say it is too hard I maybe should think about making it a little bit easier. :D But once you get used to it and take your time it really should be doable. My highscore from my last testing was a little bit over 10.000.

Keep thinking!

14 hours ago, Znippy said:

a little bit over 10.000.

Just missed the perfect "over 9000" moment there ? 

I would agree that it might be a bit tough though :P I dunno. I like the slow down pickup but without that I'm struggling to get anywhere. This is guna take some practice! Very nicely done!! I need a better score than 0 so my day just got busy ?

Check out my game '3NDL3ZZ: Base Defense' A simple militant styled, tower defense game.

GameDev.Net Project Page

Works great for me, but darn is it difficult!! :D I've been trying for 5 mins and haven't managed to cross the 2nd road yet lol.

It made me wonder are the cars really meant to go that fast!! Congrats on putting in the options screen too I haven't done that yet. I think a difficulty slider would be good to control the speed of the traffic for players with slow reactions (like myself lol!). :P 

10 minutes ago, lawnjelly said:

Works great for me, but darn is it difficult!! :D I've been trying for 5 mins and haven't managed to cross the 2nd road yet lol.

It made me wonder are the cars really meant to go that fast!! Congrats on putting in the options screen too I haven't done that yet. I think a difficulty slider would be good to control the speed of the traffic for players with slow reactions (like myself lol!). :P 

Yeah, they are pretty fast. Usually, it is best to wait until the biker is gone and then find a gap between the cars. Use the empty lines in order to wait for a good opportunity to get on a swimming piece of wood before you get hit by a spear. :D I still think that once you get used to the timings it gets a lot easier.

Since a lot of people are saying that the game is too hard I will try to balance the gameplay a bit more at the end of the week and upload a new version. Sadly can't do that until Friday.

Keep thinking!

I like the retro music, definitely has an old arcade game feel.  For sure hard.  I finally made it past the first few sets of roads and was on a log waiting for my chance to cross the river, then I got speared by a farmer lol.  I liked it a lot actually.  I also like the difficulty, you gotta move and mad-dash which is great.  

Those farmers are mean! great job!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement