My first videogame

Started by
15 comments, last by EeksGames 5 years, 4 months ago

You have a sun in the sky. If it should be night (it is dark, right?) then the sun should not be there :) 

Advertisement
18 hours ago, jbadams said:

That does sound like similar gameplay to Slender - perhaps you could take some lessons from the design of that game.  :)

If you're aiming to scare players, I'd pay particular attention to sound design, which can be very effective.

Nice analysis. Beside jump scares (i.e. zombie getting out of a closet), using out of place things to scare audience appears to be a common design element. For example, Stephen King used a clown character in his "It" novel: a clown may not look that scary in circus, but seeing a clown at night in the woods totally changes the perception. Although these new Alien games, very similar to Slenderman or OPs design, don't use it that much, yet still manage to scare many players. But Silent Hill, Penumbra and Amnesia do use it. A lot of people are scared of things they are bad at or when a game appears to know too much about them, so if you carefully analyze player, you can present experience that will genuinely scare him/her. Maybe trying to processing his Facebook profile and incorporating statistical findings into game experience, unknown to player. That will scare the crap of a typical player. Half-open spaces, like wood, where danger can come from any side, yet there are some obstacles that my hide the danger, seems to make player uncomfortable too. Slenderman games also use tall grass with small kid monster hidding in it. Children of the Corn has cornfields instead of wood, where hero moves through it, suddenly stumbling upon some sacrifice place.

Both Slenderman and the horror-based clowns exploit the psychological issues we commonly call the Uncanny Valley.  They are close to human, but exhibit features that are disturbingly not quite human.

Things being out of place causes tension for similar reasons: Players know that something should be a certain way, but it is not quite correct.

The effect only works while the material feels improper.  As an example, when the Dr Who franchise introduced the Weeping Angels they were creepy because the behavior was both human-like and disturbingly non-human, the same effect as the Uncanny Valley.  But as the series repeated the behavior over and over and over again viewers recognized the behavior as normal and typical for that creature. 

it takes a bit of skill and a bit of luck to find it, but there is a place where something looks and feels like it should be correct, but still has subtle not-quite-correct aspects that are disturbing and make the hairs on your neck stand up. Your brain recognizes that it isn't quite right, even though logically you could work past or excuse the differences.

18 minutes ago, frob said:

Both Slenderman and the horror-based clowns exploit the psychological issues we commonly call the Uncanny Valley.  They are close to human, but exhibit features that are disturbingly not quite human.

Stephen king uses it a lot, i.e. clowns, creepy children, or Pet Sematary's zombie cats, that appear normal at first. Although he also uses other fears, like acrophobia. The labyrinth environment could be unconfortable too, if there are a lot of pathways, with monsters setting up an ambush behind a corner, breaking ceiling behind player (Resident Evil 7 style). In fact, it is nice to study, how they changed everything from RE7, which is completely different from previous RE games, although actually returning to the Alone in the Dark roots.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:55 PM, Frico said:

Interesting analysis I didnt know that Slender was so simple in design. I will take some of that article to make my game. Thank you very much! 

I was getting the feel of slenderman too. Almost exact same flash light, not saying its bad, it could be fun with work. But yes the earlier statement about sound design is very much correct, when sound is compounded on correctly, it changes the whole experience of the game. An example would be how much less fun I had with slenderman if I turned the sound off lol.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:33 AM, 1024 said:

You have a sun in the sky. If it should be night (it is dark, right?) then the sun should not be there :) 

Maybe the character is already half mad and starts seeing things that don't mix :P lol

"Put your mind into a position to change your present, and your future"

On 12/2/2018 at 1:33 PM, NikitaSadkov said:

If these flying boxes start dropping some crap on the player, it will begin getting interesting. For now it looks boring. TLDR: I personally won't buy it on Steam as it is now.

This inspired me. Imagine big mazes with an exit door. Maybe you can pick up batteries for the flashlight. Add some pitfalls. Don't forget the exit door/portal. There should be a special that will make you bounce in the air, and fall, so you can get a peek at the maze.

Eeks Games is currently working on Other Realms, an immersive RPG experience for die hard fans.

https://www.gamedev.net/projects/1003-other-realms/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement