C++ and name spaces

Started by
17 comments, last by ANSI2000 22 years, 4 months ago
An example of what you should most likely do in your program is the following:

namespace myprogram{   class myclass;}using namespace myprogram;int main(int argc, char *argv[]){   myclass myinstance;}  

There isn''t much benefit to that other than that it gets you in the habit of doing it. You didn''t ask what you should do in your program though. You asked what they are and when/how they should be used. So you got stripped down examples. Certainly it would not make any sense to simply nest a bunch of namespaces to define one class. Generally I divide things up into groups of five to ten. So if the company had five systems and each system had five projects and each project created five libraries and each library had five classes that would be 625 classes. Across an entire company with an I/S staff of a few thousand you could easily get into tens of thousands of classes. Think Microsoft, not you dinking around on a computer at home.

What a namespace does is provide a context. So someone says ram. Do they mean random access memory, a male goat or running something into something else? You need a context. So perhaps you have Computer::RAM, Animal::Ram, Action::Ram. Now the possiblities are reduced considerably. Do you write programs in an environment where the most appropriate name for a class is the same as the most appropriate name for a differant class in a differant context? Apparently not. It doesn''t change what they are and when/how you should use them. It simply means you may have no need for them. Since it only takes four lines of code if you count the brackets I would argue you might as well use them even if you don''t need them. Then perhaps someday you will have an alternative to change a name used in a hundred programs. That alternative would be fully qualifying the name in the one program within which you actually have a problem.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by WayfarerX
Does C++ have any sort of similar namespace protection?

Oh, yes.

In C++, you need to either import an entity from a namespace or import the entire namespace (which may lead to namespace pollution/collisiions, requiring you to prefix entitiy names anyway). If you do not prefix the name or import the entity/namespace, the compiler will not be able to find the function:
#include <iostream>int main(int argc, char *argv[]){  cout << "Hellow, world!" << endl;  // Error: undefined variable ''cout''  return 0;} 

Many people advise against wantonly importing an entire namespace (as is commonly done with namespace std). Do this instead:
#include <iostream>#include <string>using std::cin;using std::cout;using std::endl;using std::string; 

Unfortunately, some constructs are more difficult to laocate and thus more difficult to import (I haven''t bothered to aggressively look for getline, for example, but it''s not under std). This procedure can also be tedious if you import several entities. However, since you can import entities at varying scope, you may wish to import the entire namespace within a restricted scope.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
Thanks Oluseyi, but that wasn't exactly what I was asking. Java packages work in almost the exactly the same way as you described namespaces (just use "import whatever .*;" instead of "using whatever").

In Java you can do this
    package wayfarerx.stuff; // Puts this class in the 'wayfarerx.stuff' packageclass MyClass{  public int pubInt; // public, everyone can read/write  protected int proInt; // protected, only this class and sub-classes can read/write  int packInt; // Look wierd (for Java)? This uses package protection, only this                // class and classes in the 'wayfarerx.stuff' package can read/write  private int priInt; // private, only for this class}    

I was wondering if C++ provided a mechanism similar to package protection in Java.

quote:
However, since you can import entities at varying scope, you may wish to import the entire namespace within a restricted scope.

Hmmm, didn't know you could do that. Sweet.

"So crucify the ego, before it's far too late. To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical, and you will come to find that we are all one mind. Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable."
- Tool
------------------------------

Edited by - wayfarerx on December 11, 2001 2:32:35 PM
"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
I think anything that is protected in a class can only be used directly by the class itself or sibligns, in C++ that is. No??

Also why int packInt is protected by the package, because by default if you do not specify a keyword: public, protected, private and package; java automatically defaults it to package....
You can always use the unnamed namespace, which makes anything declared in it invisible from other files. Just like the ol'' C static keyword. And yes, you can nest it withing other namespaces.

file 1:=======namespace FOO{  namespace  {    int foo() { return 0; }  }  int bar()  {    return foo(); // Can use functions of the unnamed namespace locally  }}int myfunc1(){  return FOO::bar() + FOO::foo(); // still works}file 2:namespace FOO{  namespace  {    int foo() { return 1; } // ok, no conflict, unnamed namespace  }  int bar() // won''t work: FOO::bar() already exist  {    return foo(); // Can use functions of the unnamed namespace locally  }  int baz()  {    return foo(); // Will use the local foo(), returning 1  }}int myfunc2(){  return FOO::baz() + FOO::foo(); // will work, with the local foo();}    
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
There''s no additional protection gained by C++ namespaces, that''s what friend is for

Actually I think I lied. If you declare a variable to be static at a namespace scope, only things in that namespace will know it exist. It''s a bit crduer than Java''s package scope... but that''s what friend is for. It''d be nice if you could distinguish between protected and private friends without using a proxy class.

Actaully, the C++ way would be to allow a public, protected, and private visiblity defintion within a namespace. Public is for all to see, sub-namespaces can see protected, and only that namespace can see it''s private part.

Actually, it''s sooo obivous I wonder if it work that way now....

quote:
syntax error : ''public''

Damn

Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you''ve never written buggy code" - Lee

"What I see is a system that _could do anything - but currently does nothing !" - Anonymous CEO
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
But in reality do we use all these features? I dont think so I think one or 2 nested name spaces would be enough C++ or JAVA (packages)
Thanks for the info guys!

"So crucify the ego, before it''s far too late. To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical, and you will come to find that we are all one mind. Capable of all that''s imagined and all conceivable."
- Tool
------------------------------
"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
quote:
But in reality do we use all these features?

A better question is should we use those features.

.Net makes extensive use of namespaces, as does the Java core, oui?

Is there even such a thing as namespace overkill? How could it be too organized? Well, I guess one namespace per class would be overkill...

My motivation is to make code-compeletion more useful. If you know you need a socket::protocol::&ltavialable protocols pop-up here&gr and not everything under the sun.

Magmai Kai Holmlor

"Oh, like you''ve never written buggy code" - Lee

"What I see is a system that _could do anything - but currently does nothing !" - Anonymous CEO
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement