DigitalOcean + Kubernetes/Agones: Any Guides?

Started by
3 comments, last by hplus0603 4 years, 9 months ago

Kubernetes now is on DigitalOcean, WHOA! Imagine that + Agones. I bet it's wayyyy cheaper than anything on Amazon.

Anyone hear of someone getting game servers working over there? If so, how much do you pay (if you don't mind sharing) monthly? Any guides you followed to help set that up?

Advertisement

It's been my experience that Kubernetes is not a great match for game back-ends, except for the web service part of game infrastructure.

The ingress/network routing parts get in the way of low-latency NAT-friendly networking. The containerization removes performance for data storage back-ends. The nondeterminism of where pods are allocated makes it hard to spread game simulation servers appropriately -- you can say "at most one of these per node" but you can't say "spread these evenly across nodes."

Digital ocean pricing is here: https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/

Amazon pricing is here (assuming you use kops to set up your cluster, and don't use cheaper spot instances): https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/on-demand/

As far as I can tell, Digital Ocean 4 GB / 2 CPU instances at $0.060 per hour are comparable to Amazon t3.medium at $0.0416 per hour, but the Amazon instances also charge a bit for storage used and network transfer. Or c5.large at $0.085.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

Wait, so DigitalOcean is suddenly likely more expensive than Amazon now? Whoa, when did that happen haha. Good to know!

They're not 100% comparable.

On DO at 6 cents you get a small amount of local SSD. On Amazon at 4.8 cents, you only get EBS (although that has benefits for moving instances about.) If you want local SSD on Amazon, it's more like 10 cents, but then you get more space.

But, yeah, it turns out that this is a competitive area, and each provider is trying to squeeze prices as far down as they can. Seems like a case where free market competition works out alright for consumers ?

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement