Beginner queries regarding tool familiarization

Started by
1 comment, last by Green_Baron 4 years, 6 months ago

Hello everybody, recently I have taken a keen interest in game developement and I am in need of some guidance. ?

for a bit of background I already have a solid coding basis as I currently study computer science in university as well as a decent level when I comes to concept art which I have been learning on the side for the past five years. The real difficulty with this new hobby is my current lack of time because I have to juggle between Uni stuff, art stuff and social life ?.

In this context i would like to mess around with the unity engine as well as blender to try and make some simple games using assets based on my concept arts.... .

To do so I am trying to find a good working rythm using those tools, but I am not getting anywhere because I have difficulties reaching a confort zone leading to an experimentation phase. There is, on one end just too much good ressources available for beginner, and on the other I have been trying them out sporadically rather than regularly (being unity or blender). Thus leading me here on this forum where the community appears to be very friendly ? I don't know what would be best, doing a ground up from scratch learning or a top down approach where I reverse engineer a simple working project, I am quite divided on the question...

Do you have any recommmandations for me to get regular (~1 hour a day) at using unity or blender ? 

thanks in advance for your assistance ☺️

PS: english is not my native language so I apologise if my post is hard to follow or if the typos are atrocious ?

Advertisement

Welcome ?

Blender 2.8 is easier to learn than older versions because of an overhaul of the ui, and there is an abundance of turorials and an online manual. Unfortunately i haven't found a good book on 2.8 yet. The amount of time spent to do so depends on what you're planning to do. One can spend hours or months there.

I can't say much to unity. I'd just download and experiment with the help of the learning material in order to find and explore the "comfort zone". In the course of learning, after getting used to the handling and editor, you'll probably study example projects as well as coding in you're own exercises. But you know best what fits your learning style.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement