Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

2D object editor

Started by heh65532 Nov 4, 2019 at 5:02 PM 6 replies 4.6k views
Original Post
heh65532
heh65532

Hi

I'm looking for a tool that can put series of images together so that an game object is formed. For example there's one image for helicopter fuselage and one for propeller image, and I want to put those two together. It would be enough to just get the offset where the propeller can be attached.

So my question is, does tool like this exist? Or should I write my own editor?


thanks!

Pepsidog
Pepsidog

A simple image editor would work. Photoshop, Gimp, whatever works.

I am an indie game developer who enjoys pixel art games.
Sacaldur
Sacaldur

What should the result look like? Do you want to have an image? Should some parts of it be animated (e. g. the propeller blades rotate)? Should there be special "connection points" so you can easily put different parts together? Does it have to be done prior to the games runtime?

heh65532
heh65532

Basically I just need the propeller offset then I can render the fuselage first and then the propeller on top of that (And rotate it via code). I could just get the offset with image editor but I plan to do more complex structures so some kind of editor would be nice

LorenzoGatti
LorenzoGatti

Skeletal animation tools, even if you don't animate your objects much (or you animate with sprite sequences you manage yourself), should be suitable: they are all about positioning object pieces relative to each other.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
bzt
bzt

Hi,

Try Tiled. It is Open Source and free. Originally it is a map editor, but it's capable of lot more. Putting sprites together is definitely suits its task.
"also supports building levels with freely positioned, rotated or scaled images or annotating them with objects of various shapes."

Cheers,
bzt

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.