2D object editor

Started by
6 comments, last by bzt 4 years, 5 months ago

Hi

I'm looking for a tool that can put series of images together so that an game object is formed. For example there's one image for helicopter fuselage and one for propeller image, and I want to put those two together. It would be enough to just get the offset where the propeller can be attached.

So my question is, does tool like this exist? Or should I write my own editor?

thanks!

Advertisement

A simple image editor would work.  Photoshop, Gimp, whatever works.

I am an indie game developer who enjoys pixel art games.

What should the result look like? Do you want to have an image? Should some parts of it be animated (e. g. the propeller blades rotate)? Should there be special "connection points" so you can easily put different parts together? Does it have to be done prior to the games runtime?

Basically I just need the propeller offset then I can render the fuselage first and then the propeller on top of that (And rotate it via code). I could just get the offset with image editor but I plan to do more complex structures so some kind of editor would be nice

Skeletal animation tools, even if you don't animate your objects much (or you animate with sprite sequences you manage yourself), should be suitable: they are all about positioning object pieces relative to each other.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

@LorenzoGatti Sounds good, now where do I get those editors? lol

Hi,

Try Tiled. It is Open Source and free. Originally it is a map editor, but it's capable of lot more. Putting sprites together is definitely suits its task.
"also supports building levels with freely positioned, rotated or scaled images or annotating them with objects of various shapes."

Cheers,
bzt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement