Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Aspiring orchestral/cinematic composer looking for initial feedback

Started by guilevi Nov 5, 2019 at 12:21 AM 2 replies 4.2k views
Original Post
guilevi
guilevi

Hello!


I am a piano performance major, and I have recently decided to try my hand at orchestral/cinematic composition/music production.

I've heard that one of the best markets to find interested parties in is the game development scene, and I am eventually planning to advertise my services somewhere else on this site. First, however, I wanted to get some opinions on the few things I have already made.

I only have a couple of very contrasting pieces on my Soundcloud right now. Am I right in assuming that I will need a couple more before I should try advertising?

My Soundcloud URL is



Any advice, whether it's related to the music or to how to continue on this path, is definitely appreciated. I would definitely consider this a side hobby, my main focus is still mypiano studies, but I honestly really enjoy this and would like to make something of it.


Thank you!

fbcosentino
fbcosentino

Well... I really did enjoy your 2 orchestral pieces, they are amazing. I'm a self-taught musician and composer for more than a decade as a hobby and nothing I have done so far was nearly as good as those 2 pieces you have, so I kinda envy you a bit. You could add more texture, reverb or noise to make it sound less "plastic", but that's a minor detail. My pieces sound way more artificial than yours.


The chiptune pieces I think were a bit too dense, but that would be just my personal taste. That density would be ok in a quick battle scene, as a cinematic transition or similar, but if you are planning chiptune background music for vintage games, I would recommend less information for the brain to process, even in battle contexts.

guilevi
guilevi

Oh gosh... Dont listen to the chiptune. That's just stupid stuff I wrote with some MML tools a few years back because I was bored in class :D It definitely isn't good for the style.

Thank you for the comments though!

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.