Changing to 16, 24-bit color.

Started by
3 comments, last by Joppe 22 years, 5 months ago
I have been programming directx for awhile now and I have books like Ian Parberry´s "game programming with dx 7.0" and André Lamothe´s "windows game programming". But these books only brings up 8-bit color modes. Now I want to use more colors. Is it very difficult to do this? Every advice would be nice. Thanks in advance.
Got gum?
Advertisement
No, infact my experience is that working with 16,24,32-bit modes is easyer then working with 8-bit modes In the book "Game programming for windows" of Andre Lamothe is explained how to use different color modes, he also provides you with a library for 16-bit color modes.

dont use 24bit mode, its much slower then 16bit or 32bit (because memory accesses are not aligned). if you want speed use 16bit, if you want more colors use 32bit.
Plus some cards don''t support 24bit natively and that would make it even slower.

---
Make it work.
Make it right.
Make it fast.
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
Thanks m8tes!
Got gum?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement