Looking for feedback on new epic track

Started by
7 comments, last by tonyjo7 4 years, 2 months ago

I created a track for a fictional game about an alien invasion and humanity's struggle for survival. I would love to hear what you think about it. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement

I would love to hear it in a RPG important boss battle, at first I thought it was great for the menu or something (not action)

I really like your particular style for composing, I think the track has everything it needs, tension building up, enough strings and resolution

Definitely subscribing :3

None

Everything sound well mastered and as FanGoH said it has great tension building, and I think it fits really well with what you described.

Very good!

I love how you used a fairly low number of instruments in the music. A lot of epic music these days tend to use too many instruments in an attempt to make the music more complex but end up making it confusing. Yours is just right!

FanGoH said:

I would love to hear it in a RPG important boss battle, at first I thought it was great for the menu or something (not action)

I really like your particular style for composing, I think the track has everything it needs, tension building up, enough strings and resolution

Definitely subscribing :3

Thanks! I was actually imagining an opening scene or menu when I composed it. I based it on the visuals of the XCOM trailers which one of my favorite games. I actually made a boss battle loop using the same theme.

Whistling Alpaca Studios said:

Everything sound well mastered and as FanGoH said it has great tension building, and I think it fits really well with what you described.

jcabeleira said:

Very good!

I love how you used a fairly low number of instruments in the music. A lot of epic music these days tend to use too many instruments in an attempt to make the music more complex but end up making it confusing. Yours is just right!

Thank you for the kind words guys! I agree a lot of epic music has a lot of layering to make it sound huge. I think that when it is applied to game music, it might cause the listener fatigue.

@undefined I love it!

Because of the progression, how do you intend to loop it? Immediately or with a pause?

Just curious, What software do you use to compose?

Hey,

Overall I think this is VERY solid. But there are some elements that could use some tweaking to take your track to the next level. Here are some of the things I noticed:

- The drum track is basically static. I wish it responded or interacted more with what the ensemble was doing. For example the nice rhythm at 30 in the strings is completely ignored by the drum set. This takes me out of the piece.

- Those low triplets that repeat don't go anywhere. This is my same critique of your high, staccato winds at this same spot in the piece. There's no crescendo across those same repeated notes. I'm speaking at both the micro level - like within that measure there's no dynamic change in your instruments and the macro - there's little growth at all even up to the climatic turnaround, looping point. These are missed opportunities that make your music feel more static and more wallpaper instead blowing the socks off your listeners. Basically your timpani and your cymbal swells are one of the few elements that really show off dynamics.

- I think some side-chaining for those big drum impacts at key moments would help give your piece more weight.

- The horns could be a bit more present since they're holding the melody.

- I would have liked to have heard what your contrasting B section idea would've been. Because, as you said yourself in one of the posts above, as it stands right now it could get pretty repetitive in a level. Why not expand on your ideas some?

I enjoyed your track but feel it needs a bit more production and attention to detail for it to be super impressive! It's really close.

Nice work and thanks for sharing with us!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

I do like it! good job.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement