For all the Game Producers out there interested in helping out other Producers!

Started by
0 comments, last by Gooducer_Dennis 4 years ago

Mission

Currently, a few experienced Game Producers and I are on a MISSION to help out other Producers who have been a part of the dreaded Crunch periods and the stress that comes with it for themselves and their team(s).

We believe that management have a responsibility to create productive and pleasant work environments without working people to death in game development. We make fun products, why shouldn’t it also be fun to make!

Unfortunately, it often falls to the Producer to move on this as they are the magic link between Management and the Development Teams.

However, we believe that it’s possible to do it in an effective manner that benefits literally everyone in a game development company.

We believe that because we have all helped do exactly that in our own respective work places and completely eliminated crunch time. We know it IS possible.

Reason

One of the main reasons currently, is that Producers are often ill-prepared for the role (I know I certainly was), as there’s no real education in Game Producing. Usually you start out in another role; QA, Game Designer, Programmer, in Marketing etc. and you have to fill out a leading role with no experience, knowledge or general know-how on how you actually motivate, inspire, lead people and plan stuff for big projects.

You learn by trial and error… lots of error. And in that process induce more crunch, stress, overdue deadlines, anger bosses - the list goes on. This is the process I, and most other Producers go through until they get good… the hard way, by years of experience.

Goal

Our goal, is to eventually have a curriculum of knowledge; a guide to take you through each essential skill you need as a Producer. Both to get a better start for new Producers, but also to improve existing skills for an intermediate Producer.

We believe that will, in time, reduce a LOT of unnecessary crunch, stress and employee churn that a lot of gamedev companies suffer from currently.

We Humbly Ask Your Help

Right now we need some help from you, the Producers out there!

We’re investigating which challenges, problems, pulling-out-grey-hair situations you all experience / have experienced in everyday life as a Producer. We’re looking for success stories, non-success stories, anecdotes, fun stories, sad stories etc.

If you have time for a skype call or similar to talk about your Producer challenges it will be IMMENSELY appreciated. We also happily start out with an email correspondence if you’re more comfortable with that to start. Everything will be anonymous of course, if you prefer.

I hope you’re interested in helping us and the other Producers and game developers out there ?

Gooducer Dennis

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement