What makes a human different from monkeys/other animals

Started by
177 comments, last by Tom Sloper 3 years, 10 months ago

How does learning take place when we talk about animals. It looks like with humans learning doesn`t stop. Our learning process and that of animals overlap up to a point. It would seem that we break the barrier of sound in terms of intelligence.

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Advertisement

Humans are animals. If there are differences, then they are gradual. And many of them never learn anything in all of their life, while others dig it in hours.

And there is a ton of publications on the matter, from chemistry, biology, anthropology over cognitive science to psychology and philosophy. You can't seriously assume to get a reasonable answer in here. Good luck reading and learning ;-)

Green_Baron said:
And there is a ton of publications on the matter, from anthropology over cognitive science to psychology

I`m speaking of the practical side of it, how do you program it.

What it's not is the use of tools. Even crows can use tools. It's not self-awareness either, nor verbal communication. Hmm… only humans can make popcorn.

taby said:
What it's not is the use of tools. Even crows can use tools.

Crows can`t build cars. Animals can use tools but only in one iteration (they can`t make use of nested tools). they can`t use tools that use tools

Tools that use tools. There you have it.

@Calin The human brain excels at parallel processing at the expense of speed (by two factors: raw limitation and user focus). We can't handle many tasks on a conscious level, subconsciously there's quite a bit going on. We constantly process results based on several boolean inputs & percentages when figuring risk/reward given past experiences. We store results of trial & error learning and then interpret those results with a margin of error based on the individual (this is what makes us unique: our ability to make mistakes). We also weight those results against emotions which can override logic. We basically have a logical core and an illogical core that give us two different results and we as individuals interpret those results differently.

Logic makes us human. Some animals can use logic, we do it better.

WGS_Stillwater said:
Logic makes us human. Some animals can use logic, we do it better.

Humans are pretty illogical.
And it is not valid to search a quantitative difference.
Can dogs fly? No. Some birds fly better than other. so the difference between a bird to bird is not like the difference between a dog and a bird. A dog can not fly.

You need to find something that not happens at all in animals, but happens in humans only.

Calin said:
Crows can`t build cars.

You give a shit about cars if you can fly :D

Your' topics are priceless. But what's the question? Is it ‘why are humans smarter than animals and continue to become twice as smart everyday?’, which i doubt, or is it ‘how to code difference of humans and animals, although there is no way to code even a bee’?

But what's the question

the question is the title of the topic. My take at it is that the difference resides in our ability to build nested tools (mechanisms) but I was curious to see other opinions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement