Making Flappy Bird in 1 Hour - Challenge

Started by
4 comments, last by Shiny_Emerald_Games 3 years, 6 months ago

Hello.

I recently did a challenge, where I made Flappy Bird in 1 Hour using the Unity Game Engine. Since I only had 1 hour to make the game, it is missing things like animation, sound or a main menu, but the basic flappy bird controls and features are there. I've used the first 30 minutes for the coding part, the next 20 minutes for creating the game art and the last 10 minutes, to implement the art into the game and test it out. I really enjoyed the challenge. This was the first GameDev Challenge I ever did.

Do you have ever done such challenges yourself or do you have any suggestions for future challenges I could do? Personally I really liked this challenge, because it's interesting to see, what kind of games you can actually make in a short amount of time.

Here is a link to a video I created about this whole topic, where you can watch a time-lapse (with commentary) of me creating the game and also the final result is shown at the end (after about 2 minutes of the video): https://youtu.be/I7-RzTQ2gnQ

Here's the embedded version:

I'm looking forward to your feedback! :-)

Thanks,

Shiny Emerald Games

None

Advertisement

Thank you for creation this challenge! I use pure WebGL 1.0, TypeScript and glMatrix. My current work:

Today I made some progress in my work:

Today is a great day because I made a big step. A few day ago a decided to make three versions of apps and games:

1. Web version in TS, HTML5/WebGL to run in one click in any browser (Desktop, Mobile and so on)
  2. Desktop version in C++, OpenGL using Qt
  3. Android version in C++, OpenGL using Qt

I spent two days to set up Android for Qt. I had a lot of problems in my notebook. I installed and unistalled Android SDK, NDK, Emulator, Qt many times. I changed settings, read documentation, and forums a lot. But now I made it! My first textured triangle in Qt C++ and OpenGL ES 2.0 works on Emulator and on real device! I am ready to finish the Flappy Bird challenge for three platforms. It is really a very great step in my life!

8Observer8 said:

I am ready to finish the Flappy Bird challenge for three platforms. It is really a very great step in my life!

That's great! I also want to improve my flappy bird game, when the game I'm currently working on is released. The things I want to do:

• Change the graphics
  • Make it more unique
  • Add a Highscore counter and a Main Menu

I wish you good luck with publishing your version of Flappy Bird on three different platforms. By the way, I really like the animations you've created for your bird! :-)

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement