What should I learn first for gamedev compurter science or C

Started by
4 comments, last by swiftcoder 3 years, 1 month ago

Hello. I want to apologize for my English. My question is should I learn C before C++ if I have been studying C++ for several months already. I know that's not enough. I just learned the basics of syntax and touched on the classes a bit. Or maybe I should don't study the language at all yet, but just study computer science and algorithms. Or learn a programming language and computer science in parallel. In general, I'm confused) Help me figure it out. I would like to get a job in the industry in the future. Thank you in advance.

Advertisement

Take a Degree in Computer Science, it will teach you the correct course of actions (languages, prog techniques, and more);

If you learn a prog language alone, you will know how to use it, but you will lack the knowledge of prog techniques (which are usually taught in Computer Science courses) and a good Degree keeps up-to-date with current tech to keep you equipped well enough for the future;

this way, during your Course, when you have a spare moment, you can work on a side hobby project where you can experiment techniques they teach you in this Course and gain more experience; (practice will make you perfect, well… sorta -lol-)

Hope this clears your confusion ;

All the best ;-)

Maks_1995 said:
I would like to get a job in the industry in the future.

ddlox said:
Take a Degree in Computer Science

This. Absolutely.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Maks_1995 said:
I have been studying C++ for several months already. I know that's not enough.

Those are good. Right now learn all you can, learn anything that interests you. Learn multiple programming languages. Learn multiple tools and technologies. Experiment and try things out.

Maks_1995 said:
I would like to get a job in the industry in the future.

Companies usually require a computer science degree. The courses ensure you have a basic understanding of algorithms, data structures, and theory, but even with a four year degree they are relatively shallow.

Either way, continue learning on your own. Even once you're an industry professional you're expected to continue learning. Imagine any other jobs: doctors must constantly learn new treatments, lawyers must constantly learn new laws and court rulings, car mechanics must constantly learn new engines and vehicle technology, plumbers and electricians must learn updated skills and regulations to renew their government licenses, and so on. No matter what field you enter, you'll need to constantly be learning for life.

Maks_1995 said:

should I learn C before C++

No, it's not necessary to learn C before C++. Although they are historically related, C++ is fine to learn on its own.

Maks_1995 said:
Or learn a programming language and computer science in parallel

In parallel is best. Learning a programming language will let you apply new computer science concepts right away, which makes the concepts easier to understand and remember.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement