What really it means that game companies don't ask you to know their using engine?

Started by
2 comments, last by swiftcoder 3 years, 1 month ago

Hi.

as a unity developer, i look to find a job in AAA game industry. as i look on most of the AAA studios job offers, i see there is no column for knowing their engine even if their using engine is public like CryEngine or Unreal.

the only needed lines are:

good understanding of c++

Math

understanding of that special field you request like AI Developer

being familiar with game engine tools.

as we all know, basically there are same bunch of tools in all game engines even in in-house game engines, but toolset and structure of them always differ.

does it mean people have time and oppurtunity to learn the tool chain and start working on them like some month in those companies?

Advertisement

Yes it does. There are two reasons they don't expect you to know their tools:

1. They are closed source inhouse engine/tools which even most employees won't get the source code for. So it is nearly impossible for you to know them as a non-<your company> person
  2. Tools change and every company makes their own rules/guidelines on how to use them and how code is supposed to be designed. So you have get into an existing codebase anyways and learn their rules of how you have to write the code

I guess the most common reason is No. 1 because companies split an important part of their resources into the development of their inhouse tools and engine. It is simply a matter of keeping the busines running. There are few companies which really set their products open source or even free to use. Cry Tech is such a company but thei are always on the edge of insolvency. Other companies like Epic or Amazon set their products to the public to attract people to develop with them, getting more shares and popularity.

All of this doesn't apply to most AAA companies

moeen k said:
does it mean people have time and oppurtunity to learn the tool chain and start working on them like some month in those companies?

This is true of almost all software jobs. Unless you are being hired specifically because you are an expert in toolkit X that the company uses… it's expected that there will be some months of ramp-up while you get familiar with the specific tools the company uses.

And not just things like game engines. Every company has its own unique blend of version control, test frameworks, bug tracking, documentation, etc. It's not expected that an incoming candidate would be familiar with all of those specific tools (though it is assumed you have familiarity with some variant of all of the above).

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement