How to get my first job in game industry?

Started by
4 comments, last by xiaoleijiang 2 years, 9 months ago

Hello guys, I graduated in 2020 with a Computer Science B.S. degree, and I have a non-game-related job. I really want to become a game developer so I took couple unreal courses on Udemy, but I don't know what to do next please help!

1. I tried to apply for game developer jobs but almost all full time jobs require at least 2 or 3 years experience, and almost all intern are for students only. So how do I get experience first?
  2. I saw some job titles like AI programmers, Gameplay programmers, and level designers. So if I want to get a job AFAP should I focus on one aspect? Because the Udemy courses I took kind take care every aspects such as AI, animation.

I am planing to build my portfolio after finish these Udemy courses, please give me some suggestions, thank you in advance!

Advertisement

Keep working on your portfolio. You need some solo work and some team work in your portfolio. Do you live within daily commuting distance from multiple game studios? If not, plan to move.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper Thank you Tom. I went to UCI, so I am very close to Blizzard. Do you know how to find a team, I will try to find one while working on my solo project.

Blizzard is just one of many California game companies. How many others are within daily commuting distance from where you live in Irvine? See gamedevmap.com. One of my USC students wanted to work at Blizzard. He got there eventually but his wait took about 3 years. Don't hang your hat on one company, especially a super-choosy triple-A monster.

To find an indie team, talk to other UCI grads, join the local IGDA chapter, and check out our Hobby Project Classifieds board.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper Thanks again!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement